American Pharoah Stakes
- Location: Santa Anita Park, Arcadia, CA
- Inaugural Race: 1970
- Distance: 1 and 1/16th of a mile (8.5 furlongs)
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Two Year Olds
- 2018 Purse: $300,000
- 2018 Race Date: Saturday, September 29th
Recent American Pharoah Stakes News
- Rating the First Round of 2019 Kentucky Derby Preps (12/17/2018) - With the running of Sunday's Remington Springboard Mile, the last North American Kentucky Derby prep race of the year entered the history books, bringing to ...Read More
- Game Winner, Rowayton Face Off Again in American Pharoah Stakes (9/26/2018) - The field for Saturday’s $300,000 American Pharoah Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita might be lacking in quantity, but it’s certainly not lacking in quality! ...Read More
- Keying Magnum Moon in the Rebel Stakes (3/15/2018) - It’s safe to say that the Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert knows how to win the $900,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park. ...Read More
- 2017: A Year in Reflection (12/26/2017) - With only a few days remaining in 2017, now seems like a great time to look back at a memorable year of racing from coast ...Read More
- Keeler Johnson’s Kentucky Derby Top 10 – 12/8/17 (12/8/2017) - Get ready, everyone! The prep races on the road to the 2018 Kentucky Derby are already underway, and with just five months remaining until the ...Read More
2018 American Pharoah Stakes Entries and Results
|4||Game Winner||Joel Rosario||Bob Baffert||$2.60||$2.20||$2.10|
|2||Gunmetal Gray||Flavien Prat||Jerry Hollendorfer||$2.80||$2.10|
|1||Rowayton||Florent Geroux||Jerry Hollendorfer||$2.10|
|3||Jefe||Kent J. Desormeaux||J. Keith Desormeaux|
|5||Sigalert||Tyler Baze||John W. Sadler|
- $2 Exacta (4-2) Paid: $5.60
- $2 Trifecta (4-2-1) Paid: $8.40
Watch the 2018 American Pharoah Stakes
The History of the American Pharoah Stakes
The American Pharoah Stakes is a Grade I race run each year at the Santa Anita Park.
Originally staged by the Oak Tree Racing Association and first known as the Norfolk Stakes, the race was later renamed the FrontRunner Stakes – after a popular area at Santa Anita racecourse – when Oak Tree lost the lease to race at Santa Anita. The race is now named for Triple Crown winner American Pharaoh and is a part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series, allowing the winner to race in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.
The race has been a part of the Road to the Kentucky Derby series since the series was formed. Points on the table are awarded to the first four runners on a 10-4-2-1 basis. Triple Crown winner American Pharoah won the race in 2014, while others to win Classics the following year include Snow Chief, Lookin At Lucky, and Nyquist.
It’s also a Breeders’ Cup Challenge race, providing automatic entry for the winner to the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. Two of the first three BC Juvenile winners – Chief’s Crown (1984) and Capote (1986) won this race, but only Nyquist (2015) has completed the double since.
Trainer Bob Baffert has won the race seven of the past 21 years, while Alex Solis was aboard the winner seven times – none of them on Baffert runners.