- Location: Belmont Park, Elmont, NY
- Inaugural Race: 1867
- Distance: 1 mile (8 furlongs)
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Two Year Olds
- 2018 Purse: $500,000
- 2018 Race Date: Saturday, October 6th
Recent Champagne Stakes News
- Rating the First Round of 2019 Kentucky Derby Preps (12/17/2018) - With the running of Sunday's Remington Springboard Mile, the last North American Kentucky Derby prep race of the year entered the history books, bringing to… ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 10/8/18 (10/7/2018) - We look back at all the action from a huge weekend of Breeders' Cup preps including Shadwell Mile day from Keeneland, the Champagne at Belmont,… ...Read More
- Complexity Uses His Speed to Dominate Champagne Stakes (10/7/2018) - Pure speed is one of the greatest tactical advantages a racehorse can possess, and based on the results of Saturday’s $500,000 Champagne Stakes (gr. I)… ...Read More
- Endorsed, Trophy Chaser Look Live in Deep Champagne Stakes (10/3/2018) - Some of the most promising two-year-olds on the East Coast are set to face off in Saturday’s $500,000 Champagne Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park,… ...Read More
- How Knowing a Horse’s Family History Can Lead to Winning Bets (4/10/2018) - When handicapping horse races, it can be a subtle but significant advantage to know the history of a given horse’s close relatives and the circumstances… ...Read More
2018 Champagne Stakes Entries and Results
|4||Complexity||Jose L. Ortiz||Chad C. Brown||$7.00||$4.40||$3.50|
|8||Code of Honor||Eric Cancel||Claude R. McGaughey III||$13.20||$8.10|
|5||Call Paul||Irad Ortiz, Jr.||Jason Servis||$5.30|
|9||Aurelius Maximus||Joel Rosario||Chad C. Brown|
|2||Trophy Chaser||Junior Alvarado||Juan Carlos Avila|
|1||Endorsed||Joe Bravo||Kiaran P. McLaughlin|
|10||Casa Creed||David Cohen||William I. Mott|
|6||Listing||Mario Gutierrez||Ben D. A. Cecil|
|7||Successful Zip||Manuel Franco||Miguel Vera|
|3||Achilles Warrior||Dylan Davis||Mark A. Hennig|
- $2 Exacta (4-8) Paid: $84.00
- $2 Trifecta (4-8-5) Paid: $488.48
- $2 Superfecta (4-8-5-9) Paid: $2,096.00
Watch the 2018 Champagne Stakes
The History of the Champagne Stakes
First held in 1867, the Champagne Stakes moved to Belmont Park in 1905. After it was increased in distance from a sprint to one mile in 1940, it became arguably the most important juvenile race in North America until the advent of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile in 1984.
Today it’s a Breeders’ Cup Challenge “win and you’re in” prep for the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. Five horses have completed the double: Fly So Free, Timber Country, War Pass, Uncle Mo, and Shanghai Bobby.
It is also part of the Road to the Kentucky Derby series. The first four horses across the line earn points on the table on a 10-4-2-1 basis.
Several winners of the Champagne Stakes have gone on to win Classics; they include Ben Brush, Plaudit, Colin, Grey Lag, Bubbling Over, Mate, Alsab, Count Fleet, Capot, Riva Ridge, Foolish Pleasure, Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid, Sea Hero, Timber Country, Birdstone, and Union Rags.
However, there have been some notable defeats. The Champagne Stakes was one of just two races in which Alydar finished ahead of Affirmed. Secretariat won the race in 1972 but was disqualified and placed second due to interference, while the same fate happened to 1970 to Hoist the Flag – an outstanding horse whose jockey Jean Cruguet rated as better than his Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, but who was injured prior to the 1971 Classics.