- Location: Churchill Downs, Louisville, KY
- Inaugural Race: 1982
- Distance: 1 & 1/16 miles (8.5 furlongs)
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Two-year-olds
- 2019 Purse: $200,000
- 2019 Race Date: Saturday, September 14th
Recent Iroquois Stakes News
- Dennis’ Moment cruises to Derby favoritism in Iroquois Stakes (9/16/2019) - Dennis’ Moment lived up to the hype in Saturday’s $200,000 Iroquois Stakes (G3) at Churchill Downs, where he cruised to an uncontested victory and gave… ...Read More
- Trainers to watch and wager on at Churchill Downs’ September meet (9/10/2019) - To help you identify the trainers most likely to produce profitable plays, we’ve used Statsmaster to compile a list of trainers to watch based on… ...Read More
- Jockeys to watch and wager on at Churchill Downs’ September meet (9/10/2019) - Planning to watch and wager on the races at Churchill Downs in September? Knowing which jockeys excel under certain circumstances can help point you in… ...Read More
- Churchill Downs releases Road to the Kentucky Derby schedule (8/22/2019) - It’s that time of year again—the 2019-2020 Road to the Kentucky Derby will kick off with the $200,000 Iroquois Stakes (G3) on September 14, according… ...Read More
- Rating the First Round of 2019 Kentucky Derby Preps (12/17/2018) - With the running of Sunday's Remington Springboard Mile, the last North American Kentucky Derby prep race of the year entered the history books, bringing to… ...Read More
2019 Iroquois Stakes Entries and Results
|8||Dennis' Moment||Irad Ortiz, Jr.||Dale L. Romans||$2.80||$2.60||$2.20|
|3||Scabbard||Corey J. Lanerie||Eddie Kenneally||$6.00||$4.00|
|9||Lebda||Trevor McCarthy||Claudio A. Gonzalez||$6.00|
|2||Letmeno||Calvin H. Borel||Ian R. Wilkes|
|4||Rowdy Yates||Tyler Baze||Steven M. Asmussen|
|10||January Won||Brian Joseph Hernandez, Jr.||Kenneth G. McPeek|
|6||Flute Maker||Jose L. Ortiz||Kenneth G. McPeek|
|5||Automate||Florent Geroux||J. Keith Desormeaux|
|7||Juggernaut||James Graham||J. Keith Desormeaux|
|1||Zyramid||Ricardo Santana, Jr.||Steven M. Asmussen|
- Exacta (8-3) Paid: $14.00
- Trifecta (8-3-9) Paid: $36.00
- Superfecta(8-3-9-2) Paid: $30.00
Watch the 2019 Iroquois Stakes
The History of the Iroquois Stakes
Founded in 1982 to honor Iroquois, the first U.S.-bred to win the Epsom Derby in 1881, the Iroquois Stakes was formerly run around the same time as the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. It was moved to the new Churchill Downs September meet in 2013, and increased in distance from one mile to 1 1/16 miles.
The Iroquois Stakes is also the first race in the Road to the Kentucky Derby series. The first four horses past the post all earn qualifying points, split out on a 10-4-2-1 basis. No winner of the Iroquois Stakes has gone on to win a Triple Crown race as yet, though 2016 runner-up Lookin At Lee went on to finish second in the 2017 Kentucky Derby.
Since its move to September, the Iroquois has become an important lead-up to the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. Most of its winners since 2013 have gone on to contest the Juvenile, with one, 2015 winner Not This Time, running a close second in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile to Classic Empire.
Notable winners of the race include Tiz Wonderful, Court Vision, and Harlan’s Holiday.