Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
- 2019 Location: Santa Anita Park
- Inaugural Race: 2007
- Distance: 7 Furlongs
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Fillies & Mares, Three-year-olds and up
- 2019 Purse: $1.0 million
- 2019 Race Date: Saturday, November 2rd
2019 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint – Who’s In?
Below are the official entries and morning line odds for the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint:
|Position||Horse Name||Odds||Jockey||Trainer||Challenge Series Wins|
|TBD||Stormy Embrace||TBD||Wilmer A. Garcia||Kathleen O'Connell||Princess Rooney Handicap|
|TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes|
Recent Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint Betting News
- Churchill Downs spot plays: Is Covfefe vulnerable in the Dogwood? (9/19/2019) - There are 11 races scheduled for Saturday, September 21 at Churchill Downs, but the most interesting events on the card are the final two of… ...Read More
- Betting an 8-1 shot in the Presque Isle Downs Masters (9/12/2019) - If you toss out Spring in the Wind’s poor showings on dirt, her race record looks encouraging. She also won three straight races over the… ...Read More
- Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint top 5: It’s time to dance (9/3/2019) - Ranking the top contenders for the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (G1) at Santa Anita is harder than it sounds. ...Read More
- How to bet the exotics in the 2019 Prioress Stakes (8/30/2019) - On paper, Saturday’s $250,000 Prioress Stakes (G2) at Saratoga is shaping up to be a race between two just competitors—#3 Break Even and the clock. That’s how… ...Read More
- Why I’m betting Come Dancing in the Ballerina Stakes (8/22/2019) - Several accomplished female sprinters will square off in Saturday’s $500,000 Ballerina Stakes (G1) at Saratoga, but they’re all running for second behind the lightly raced… ...Read More
November 2nd, 2017
Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint History
The Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint was first added to the Breeders’ Cup card in 2007. It was run at six furlongs that year at Monmouth Park, but has been run at seven furlongs every year since.
It became a grade one race for its third edition in 2009, and has quickly become the climax of the year for the division. Only twice has the Filly & Mare Sprint victor failed to win the Eclipse Award, and in both cases the Eclipse Award winner finished second in the Filly & Mare Sprint.
The race has had one double winner already. Groupie Doll won the 2012 race in outstanding fashion, scoring by 4 ½ lengths. It was her fifth successive win and at her next start she took on the colts in the Cigar Mile, going down by a nose to Stay Thirsty. She returned the next year to defeat Judy the Beauty by a half-length.
Judy The Beauty got her turn to take the honors the following year. She is one of several horses to finish in the money in the Filly & Mare Sprint on multiple occasions. Ventura won the race in 2008 before finishing second the following year, a pattern repeated by Wavell Avenue in 2015 and 2016. The unfortunate Switch finished second in 2010 and 2011 and then third in 2012 but was unable to break through for a win.
Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint – Race Records
Scroll over any box below to view the historical records for the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint:
Historical Results for Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
In the table below, view a historical record of the winning trainers, thoroughbreds, jockeys, and times for every Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint race.
|2018||3||Shamrock Rose||Irad Ortiz Jr.||Mark E. Casse||Conrad Farms||1:23.13|
|2017||5||Bar of Gold||Irad Ortiz Jr.||John C. Kimmel||Chester & Mary Broman||1:22.63|
|2016||4||Finest City||Mike Smith||Ian Kruljac||Seltzer Thoroughbreds||1:22.37|
|2015||4||Wavell Avenue||Joel Rosario||Chad Brown||Michael Dubb, David Simon and Bethlehem Stables LLC||1:22.39|
|2014||5||Judy the Beauty||Mike Smith||Wesley Ward||Wesley Ward||1:21:92|
|2013||5||Groupie Doll||Rajiv Maragh||William Bradley||Bradley, Fred F., William B., Hurst, Carl and Burns, Brent||1:20.75|
|2012||4||Groupie Doll||R. Maragh||W. Bradley||Fred F. Bradley, William B. Bradley, Carl Hurst and Brent Burns||1:20.72|
|2011||4||Musical Romance||J. Leyva||W. Kaplan||Pinnacle Racing Stable and William A. Kaplan||1:23.47|
|2010||5||Dubai Majesty||J. Theriot||W. Calhoun||Martin Racing Stable LLC and Dan Morgan||1:22.33|
|2009||4||Informed Decision||J. Leparoux||J. Sheppard||Augustin Stables (George Strawbridge Jr. )||1:21.66|
|2008||4||Ventura||G. Gomez||R. Frankel||Juddmonte Farms (Khalid Abdullah)||1:19.90|
|2007||6||Maryfield||E. Trujillo||D. O'Neill||Mark Gorman, Nick Mestrandrea & Jim Perry||1:09.85*|