Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
- 2018 Location: Churchill Downs
- Inaugural Race: 2007
- Distance: 7 Furlongs
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Fillies & Mares, Three-year-olds and up
- 2018 Purse: $1.0 million
- 2018 Race Date: Saturday, November 3rd
2018 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint – Challenge Series Winners
Find out who’s in so far for the 2018 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint:
|HORSE||TRAINER||JOCKEY||CHALLENGE RACE WON|
|Stormy Embrace||Kathleen O'Connell||Wilmer A. Garcia||Princess Rooney Handicap|
|Marley's Freedom||Bob Baffert||Mike E. Smith||Ballerina Stakes|
|TBD||TBD||TBD||Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes|
Recent Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint News
- Charles Town Oaks the Highlight of Seven-Stakes Card at Charles Town (9/19/2018) - With seven stakes races on the agenda, the Saturday card at Charles Town is shaping up to be a memorable day of racing with large ...Read More
- Marley’s Freedom Impresses in Ballerina Stakes (8/27/2018) - The Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert has won a lot of big races through the years, but one that has proven elusive is the ...Read More
- How to Bet the Ballerina Stakes (8/23/2018) - There certainly aren’t many speed horses entered in the $500,000 Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) on Saturday at Saratoga, which means that the pace of the seven-furlong ...Read More
- How to Bet the Test Stakes (8/1/2018) - What do you do when four of the top contenders in a given race seem certain to engage in an all-out battle for the lead, ...Read More
- A Star in the Making? Stormy Embrace Crushes Princess Rooney Stakes (7/1/2018) - Look out, Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint contenders—there’s a new female sprinter in the spotlight, and she’s fast. Seriously fast. If you had never ...Read More
November 2nd, 2017
Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint History
The Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint was first added to the Breeders’ Cup card in 2007. It was run at six furlongs that year at Monmouth Park, but has been run at seven furlongs every year since.
It became a grade one race for its third edition in 2009, and has quickly become the climax of the year for the division. Only twice has the Filly & Mare Sprint victor failed to win the Eclipse Award, and in both cases the Eclipse Award winner finished second in the Filly & Mare Sprint.
The race has had one double winner already. Groupie Doll won the 2012 race in outstanding fashion, scoring by 4 ½ lengths. It was her fifth successive win and at her next start she took on the colts in the Cigar Mile, going down by a nose to Stay Thirsty. She returned the next year to defeat Judy the Beauty by a half-length.
Judy The Beauty got her turn to take the honors the following year. She is one of several horses to finish in the money in the Filly & Mare Sprint on multiple occasions. Ventura won the race in 2008 before finishing second the following year, a pattern repeated by Wavell Avenue in 2015 and 2016. The unfortunate Switch finished second in 2010 and 2011 and then third in 2012 but was unable to break through for a win.
Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint – Race Records
Scroll over any box below to view the historical records for the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint:
Historical Results for Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
In the table below, view a historical record of the winning trainers, thoroughbreds, jockeys, and times for every Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint race.
|2017||5||Bar of Gold||Irad Ortiz Jr.||John C. Kimmel||Chester & Mary Broman||1:22.63|
|2016||4||Finest City||Mike Smith||Ian Kruljac||Seltzer Thoroughbreds||1:22.37|
|2015||4||Wavell Avenue||Joel Rosario||Chad Brown||Michael Dubb, David Simon and Bethlehem Stables LLC||1:22.39|
|2014||5||Judy the Beauty||Mike Smith||Wesley Ward||Wesley Ward||1:21:92|
|2013||5||Groupie Doll||Rajiv Maragh||William Bradley||Bradley, Fred F., William B., Hurst, Carl and Burns, Brent||1:20.75|
|2012||4||Groupie Doll||R. Maragh||W. Bradley||Fred F. Bradley, William B. Bradley, Carl Hurst and Brent Burns||1:20.72|
|2011||4||Musical Romance||J. Leyva||W. Kaplan||Pinnacle Racing Stable and William A. Kaplan||1:23.47|
|2010||5||Dubai Majesty||J. Theriot||W. Calhoun||Martin Racing Stable LLC and Dan Morgan||1:22.33|
|2009||4||Informed Decision||J. Leparoux||J. Sheppard||Augustin Stables (George Strawbridge Jr. )||1:21.66|
|2008||4||Ventura||G. Gomez||R. Frankel||Juddmonte Farms (Khalid Abdullah)||1:19.90|
|2007||6||Maryfield||E. Trujillo||D. O'Neill||Mark Gorman, Nick Mestrandrea & Jim Perry||1:09.85*|