Betting on NCAA College Basketball
Betting on the moneyline, spread and total in NCAA Division I college basketball remain the go-to option for most players. Futures and prop betting are also popular as well, especially during March Madness and the road to the Final Four.
NCAAB Moneyline Betting
The moneyline is a wager on the straight-up winner of the game. In most cases, there will be a favorite and an underdog listed for each game. Placing a bet on the favorite will offer a lower payout, while placing a bet on an underdog will offer a premium payout, if they win. The NCAAB moneyline is typically based on the bet required to win $100 if betting on the favorite vs. the potential win for a bet of $100 placed on the underdog.
NCAAB Against the Spread Betting
The point spread is the number of points taken from the favorite, or assigned to the underdog, to give both sides an even chance of winning the wager. For instance, if the Duke Blue Devils are -10 favorites against the North Carolina Tar Heels, they will need to win their game by 11 points or more to “cover” the spread. Conversely, the Tar Heels need to either win or lose by nine points or less to cover.
|North Carolina Tar Heels||+10 (-110)||+360||O 142.5 (-110)|
|Duke Blue Devils||-10 (-110)||-485||U 142.5 (-110)|
Against the Spread (ATS) bets add excitement to games that may otherwise be lopsided affairs.
NCAAB Over/Under Betting
An NCAAB over/under bet involves simply choosing whether you think there will be more total points scored by both teams, or less total scores, than the figure listed on the published line.
NCAAB Futures Betting
Futures, as the name suggests, are wagers based upon events which may, or may not, transpire at a much later date. The futures market for the NCAAB revolves heavily around which team will win the national championship, as well as which players will win annual awards such as the John R. Wooden Award. These are long-term investments that can reap big rewards for savvy bettors.
Past 10 NCAAB National Champions
|2017||North Carolina||Roy Williams|
NCAAB Championship Trends
- The ACC and Pac-12 have produced more national champions than any other conference with 12 a piece
- California has produced the most championship teams thanks, in large part, to UCLA’s dynasty during the 1960s and 70s. San Francisco also won back-to-back titles in 1955 and 1956 and Stanford was the last team standing in 1942
- 2008 marked the first – and so far only – year that all four top seeded teams reached the Final Four
NCAAB Programs with the Most National Championships
|School||NCAAB Championships||Last NCAAB Championship|
When it comes to national titles, everyone is still chasing the Bruins. UCLA won an unprecedented seven consecutive championships from 1967 to 1973 under the steady leadership of legendary head coach John Wooden.
NCAAB Programs with the Most Wooden Award Winners
|Duke||6||1992, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2019|
|North Carolina||4||1978, 1984, 1998, 2008|
|St. John's||2||1985, 1986|
The NCAA has been honoring its most outstanding player since 1977 with the introduction of the John R. Wooden Award. The award is given annually by the Los Angeles Athletic Club and is voted upon by a selection of 1,000 journalists and sportscasters representing all 50 states. Here are three things you need to know about this prestigious honor:
- Candidates for the award must be full-time students with a cumulative 2.00 grade point average
- Former Virginia center Ralph Sampson is the only player in NCAAB history to win the Wooden Award multiple times
- Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant are the only freshmen to win the Wooden Award
College Basketball News
- Louisville emerges as early favorite to win NCAA Championship (12/6/2019) - A couple years removed from the scandal that saw the departure of Rick Pitino and the removal of championship banners, second-year head coach Chris Mack’s… ...Read More
- Best bets for college basketball’s Wooden Award (12/6/2019) - After a month of examining what college basketball has to offer, we have a much better lay of the land, which makes it the perfect… ...Read More
- Louisville claims top spot in latest NCAA Power Rankings (12/4/2019) - Feast Week delivered in a huge way—in matchups and storylines. It brought upsets and big wins for multiple teams. One team went from unranked to… ...Read More
- ACC/Big Ten Challenge: #6 Ohio State at #7 North Carolina preview (12/4/2019) - The ACC/Big Ten Challenge annually provides college basketball fans with blockbuster matchups of the top teams in the nation, and this year is no exception.… ...Read More
- Michigan is legit, and other lessons learned from Feast Week (12/3/2019) - Thanksgiving Week brought us a wild week of sports. The Egg Bowl became unhinged, then Nick Saban forgot how to count in the Iron Bowl,… ...Read More
- #5 Maryland looks to feast on Temple in NCAAB Thanksgiving action (11/27/2019) - There will be plenty of sports action for bettors to gobble up this Thanksgiving, starting with a matchup of No. 5 Maryland and undefeated Temple.… ...Read More
- NCAAB: Is Texas Tech for real? (11/26/2019) - For college basketball fans across the country, Feast Week is one of only three opportunities to enjoy daytime basketball. Unlike Championship Week and the NCAA… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Feast Week provides tasty matchups (11/26/2019) - It’s Feast Week, and there are some terrific matchups in store for college basketball fans as we head into the Thanksgiving weekend. ...Read More
- NCAAB: Virginia’s national championship odds move to 15-1 (11/25/2019) - Coming off a national championship win last season, the No. 7 Virginia Cavaliers were one of the favorites to hang another banner in 2020. But… ...Read More
- NCAAB: #22 Texas Longhorns vs. Georgetown Hoyas preview and pick (11/21/2019) - The No. 22 Texas Longhorns and Georgetown Hoyas meet Thursday night at Madison Square Garden, in what will prove to be a good test for… ...Read More
- College basketball recap: What’s wrong with the SEC? (11/20/2019) - College basketball is just getting started, but there have already been a few early surprises. The most shocking news comes from the SEC, where Florida,… ...Read More
- NCAAB: #10 Villanova vs. #16 Ohio State preview and pick (11/13/2019) - When No. 10 Villanova and No. 16 Ohio State meet in Columbus on Wednesday night, fans will get a taste of non-conference, top 25 basketball,… ...Read More
- Washington and Evansville impress during NCAAB’s first week (11/13/2019) - Join BetAmerica columnist Nick Roush as he examines five of the biggest lessons he learned during the topsy-turvy first week of 2019-2020 college basketball season. ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Kentucky is king of the mountain (11/12/2019) - We are through one week of the college basketball season, and many of the top teams in the nation are preparing to devour some cupcakes… ...Read More
- Cole Anthony and Jordan Nwora impress during NCAAB’s first week (11/9/2019) - Let's underline five athletes who not only boast excellent chances of becoming the next Wooden Award recipient, but also have promising odds to help lead… ...Read More
- NCAAB power rankings: Michigan State holds down the top spot (11/5/2019) - It is a joyous day for college basketball fans, as today marks the tip-off to the 2019-20 NCAA men’s basketball season! Tonight’s Champions Classic at… ...Read More
- A Different Dose of March Madness in 2019 (4/9/2019) - Expect the unexpected in the NCAA Tournament. It’s a well-known adage tossed around ahead of the Big Dance each and every year. And yet the… ...Read More
- Betting Virginia – Texas Tech, Does the One Point Matter? (4/8/2019) - As you’ve probably noticed from the questions I ask Scott Shapiro in the BetAmerica.com video series “Beginner’s Corner,” I’m—well—a beginner! But a beginner doesn’t mean… ...Read More
- NCAAB Tournament Game Preview: #3 Texas Tech vs. #1 Virginia (4/7/2019) - Texas Tech Red Raiders (31-6) vs. Virginia Cavaliers (34-3) Game time: Monday, April 8, 9:20 p.m. ET Location: U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota Where to… ...Read More
- NCAAB Tournament Game Preview: #5 Auburn vs. #1 Virginia (4/3/2019) - Auburn Tigers (30-9) vs. Virginia Cavaliers (33-3) Game time: Saturday, April 6, 6:09 p.m. ET Location: U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota Where to watch: CBS… ...Read More
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: Final Four Memories and National Semifinals Analysis With Dan Cronin (4/3/2019) - On this week's episode of the Who Do Ya Like Podcast over the Bet America Radio Network, Scott Shapiro welcomes in hoops guru and brother… ...Read More
- NCAAB Tournament Game Preview: #3 Texas Tech vs. #2 Michigan State (4/2/2019) - Texas Tech (30-6) vs. Michigan State (32-6) Game time: Saturday, April 6, 8:49 p.m. ET Location: U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota Where to watch: CBS… ...Read More
- NCAAB Final Four Free Picks (4/1/2019) - Final Four Preview and Betting Analysis On Sunday, Auburn upset Kentucky 77-71 in overtime, while Michigan State upset the Duke Blue Devils 68-67 to fill… ...Read More
- Michigan State’s Poise Could Crush Duke’s Drama (3/30/2019) - The Stage is Set for the Elite 8 Clash #2 Michigan State Spartans -3 over Duke Blue Devils, Sunday March 31st, 5:05 pm EST Michigan… ...Read More
- West Region Elite Eight Free Pick (3/29/2019) - NCAA Tournament West Region Elite Eight The Texas Tech Red Raiders dominated Michigan in their Sweet 16 matchup to set up an Elite Eight battle… ...Read More