Betting on NCAA College Basketball
Betting on the moneyline, spread and total in NCAA Division I college basketball remain the go-to option for most players. Futures and prop betting are also popular as well, especially during March Madness and the road to the Final Four.
NCAAB Moneyline Betting
The moneyline is a wager on the straight-up winner of the game. In most cases, there will be a favorite and an underdog listed for each game. Placing a bet on the favorite will offer a lower payout, while placing a bet on an underdog will offer a premium payout, if they win. The NCAAB moneyline is typically based on the bet required to win $100 if betting on the favorite vs. the potential win for a bet of $100 placed on the underdog.
NCAAB Against the Spread Betting
The point spread is the number of points taken from the favorite, or assigned to the underdog, to give both sides an even chance of winning the wager. For instance, if the Duke Blue Devils are -10 favorites against the North Carolina Tar Heels, they will need to win their game by 11 points or more to “cover” the spread. Conversely, the Tar Heels need to either win or lose by nine points or less to cover.
|North Carolina Tar Heels||+10 (-110)||+360||O 142.5 (-110)|
|Duke Blue Devils||-10 (-110)||-485||U 142.5 (-110)|
Against the Spread (ATS) bets add excitement to games that may otherwise be lopsided affairs.
NCAAB Over/Under Betting
An NCAAB over/under bet involves simply choosing whether you think there will be more total points scored by both teams, or less total scores, than the figure listed on the published line.
NCAAB Futures Betting
Futures, as the name suggests, are wagers based upon events which may, or may not, transpire at a much later date. The futures market for the NCAAB revolves heavily around which team will win the national championship, as well as which players will win annual awards such as the John R. Wooden Award. These are long-term investments that can reap big rewards for savvy bettors.
Past 10 NCAAB National Champions
|2017||North Carolina||Roy Williams|
NCAAB Championship Trends
- The ACC and Pac-12 have produced more national champions than any other conference with 12 a piece
- California has produced the most championship teams thanks, in large part, to UCLA’s dynasty during the 1960s and 70s. San Francisco also won back-to-back titles in 1955 and 1956 and Stanford was the last team standing in 1942
- 2008 marked the first – and so far only – year that all four top seeded teams reached the Final Four
NCAAB Programs with the Most National Championships
|School||NCAAB Championships||Last NCAAB Championship|
When it comes to national titles, everyone is still chasing the Bruins. UCLA won an unprecedented seven consecutive championships from 1967 to 1973 under the steady leadership of legendary head coach John Wooden.
NCAAB Programs with the Most Wooden Award Winners
|Duke||6||1992, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2019|
|North Carolina||4||1978, 1984, 1998, 2008|
|St. John's||2||1985, 1986|
The NCAA has been honoring its most outstanding player since 1977 with the introduction of the John R. Wooden Award. The award is given annually by the Los Angeles Athletic Club and is voted upon by a selection of 1,000 journalists and sportscasters representing all 50 states. Here are three things you need to know about this prestigious honor:
- Candidates for the award must be full-time students with a cumulative 2.00 grade point average
- Former Virginia center Ralph Sampson is the only player in NCAAB history to win the Wooden Award multiple times
- Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant are the only freshmen to win the Wooden Award
College Basketball News
- Kansas has lowest odds to win NCAA title despite suspensions (1/24/2020) - Despite the brawl with Kansas State at Allen Fieldhouse, which saw four Kansas players receive suspensions, Kansas (+900) is at the top of BetAmerica’s NCAA… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s NCAAB Saturday preview (1/24/2020) - There is a loaded slate of college basketball action Saturday, headlined by the 2020 Big 12/SEC Challenge. Here is a breakdown of three of the… ...Read More
- NCAAB upset picks: Villanova, Baylor are cruising for a bruising (1/23/2020) - We don’t need to wait for the lines to put multiple teams on upset alert. This wild college basketball season has made it more difficult… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Baylor holds onto the top spot (1/23/2020) - The Baylor Bears are quietly putting together one of the best résumés in the game by getting things done while chaos ensues elsewhere. Let’s jump… ...Read More
- NCAAB: Iowa, Seton Hall climb in latest AP Top 25 rankings (1/22/2020) - The landscape continues to change in college basketball, as the seventh new team ascended to No. 1 in the AP Top 25 on Monday. The… ...Read More
- NCAAB: Georgia Tech vs. Louisville preview and pick (1/22/2020) - When Georgia Tech visits Louisville on Wednesday night, the matchup will feature two teams with divergent trajectories, and represents nothing but opportunity for the Yellow… ...Read More
- College basketball’s most underrated players (1/21/2020) - With less than two months until Selection Sunday, college basketball fans have already become well-acquainted with the game’s rising stars. Don’t focus all of your… ...Read More
- Duke and Gonzaga neck and neck in NCAA Championship odds (1/17/2020) - Duke and Gonzaga now lead all teams with the lowest odds to win it all at +1000. Which is the better bet? Let’s take a… ...Read More
- NCAAB upset picks: Expect big things from Washington (1/17/2020) - It has been a wild year of college basketball. A dozen top five teams have lost to unranked opponents and we still have two months… ...Read More
- Michigan State, Ohio State fall hard in latest AP Top 25 rankings (1/16/2020) - With the latest poll released this week, let’s take a look at the biggest risers and fallers in the rankings and those teams’ odds of… ...Read More
- Scott Drew is the most underrated coach in college basketball (1/16/2020) - In a wildly inconsistent college basketball season, Scott Drew and the Baylor Bears might be the closest thing to a sure thing. ...Read More
- Obi Toppin’s Wooden Award odds continue to improve (1/16/2020) - As the college basketball season enters the meat and potatoes of the conference schedule, a few of the country’s best have taken missteps, while others… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Baylor takes over the top spot (1/15/2020) - They've been hanging around the top 10 all season, but the Baylor Bears finally took over the No. 1 spot in our power rankings this… ...Read More
- NCAAB: Virginia vs. #9 Florida State preview and pick (1/15/2020) - Florida State was the last team to defeat Virginia last season, before the Cavaliers went on a run to win the ACC and the national… ...Read More
- The greatest teams in NCAA college basketball history (1/13/2020) - Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but greatness is something that everyone can see and agree upon. In the world of college… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: San Diego State slides into the top 5 (1/9/2020) - As conference play gets into full swing, the strength of the Power Five leagues will begin to impact the weekly power rankings. Gonzaga had a… ...Read More
- Dayton is the most underrated team in college basketball (1/7/2020) - In a year of college basketball where no one reigns supreme and No. 1 teams regularly drop like flies, it’s the perfect storm for a… ...Read More
- Greatest scorers in NCAA college basketball history (1/6/2020) - Few players have generated more highlights this season than Marquette's Markus Howard. The senior point guard is leading the nation in scoring at 25.8 points… ...Read More
- Kansas slides into top 5 in NCAA national championship odds (1/4/2020) - As Kansas heads into Big 12 conference play, it also enters the top five teams with the best odds to win the national championship. The… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Can anyone dethrone Gonzaga? (1/3/2020) - It’s a new year and a new decade, but the Gonzaga Bulldogs continue to be one of the top teams in the nation as the… ...Read More
- New Year’s resolutions for college basketball’s top teams (1/1/2020) - As the calendar turns from 2019 to 2020, college basketball programs across the country have an opportunity to start fresh in conference play. Some need… ...Read More
- Michigan State’s NCAA championship odds continue to worsen as injuries pile up (12/27/2019) - After Christmas comes the long lines at the mall to return that shirt that’s two sizes too small, or the sweater your great aunt was… ...Read More
- Kansas moves up odds board to win NCAA national title (12/20/2019) - There’s a new No. 1 again this week in college basketball. Only seven weeks into the season, Kansas is the fifth team to reach the… ...Read More
- NCAAB Power Rankings: Does anybody want to be #1? (12/19/2019) - We have yet another team making their debut at the top of the list, as the Bulldogs of Gonzaga are our newest top-ranked squad this… ...Read More
- NCAAB preview: Gonzaga a big favorite against reeling UNC (12/18/2019) - North Carolina will take the court in Spokane, Washington on Wednesday, and what awaits the Tar Heels on the end of the cross-country trip likely… ...Read More