The Rose Bowl
Who will play in the 2019 Rose Bowl of College Football?
As the sixth ranked team in the rankings, Ohio State missed out on their shot at the the College Football Playoff and were instead selected for the Rose Bowl. The Buckeyes boasted a 8-1 conference record, a 12-1 overall record and a victory in the Big Ten Championship Game. Ohio State will face the Washington Huskies , who defeated Utah in the Pac-12 College Football Championship and exit the regular season with a 7-2 conference record and 10-3 overall record.
The History of College Football’s Rose Bowl
The Rose Bowl is the oldest college football bowl game and known as “The Granddaddy of Them All.”
The Rose Bowl was first played in 1902 and has been renewed annually since 1916 in Pasadena, California. The game usually falls on New Year’s Day and has also been played on Jan. 2nd on 15 occasions.
Since 1945, the Rose Bowl has been the highest attended bowl game and is part of ‘America’s New Year’s Celebration’, which includes the historic Rose Parade.
Traditionally, the Rose Bowl hosts the champions of the Pac-12 and Big Ten conferences. However, starting in 2002 it began to deviate from its customary matchup in order to facilitate championship games under the now defunct Bowl Championship Series system.
In 2015 and in 2018, the Rose Bowl played host to the College Football Playoff national semifinal game, and hosts one of the playoff semifinal games every three years. In non-playoff years, the Rose Bowl reverts back to hosting the Pac-12 and Big Ten champions.
Rose Bowl Historic Moments
Historic moments and matchups in the Rose Bowl include the 2006 game, when No. 1 USC battled No. 2 Texas in one of the greatest post-season games ever played. The Trojans entered with a 34-game winning streak while Texas had 19 straight wins. The game featured two Heisman Trophy winners (Reggie Bush and Vince Young), and Texas won the most memorable Rose Bowl 41-38 in what was the most-watched college football game since 1987. A record breaking 35.6 million viewers tuned in on television.
In 2005, #6 Texas defeated #13 Michigan 38-37. USC won three straight Rose Bowls starting in 2007.
In the 2015 national semi-final game, the Rose Bowl winner was #3 Oregon, who smashed #2 Florida State 59-20 and snapped the Seminoles’ 29-game winning streak. Oregon set the Rose Bowl scoring record with 59 points.
In the 2018 Rose Bowl, two 12-1 teams met in the national semi-final and #3 Georgia beat #2 Oklahoma 54-48 in double overtime. It was the first Rose Bowl game to ever go into overtime.
The USC Trojans have played the most times in the Rose Bowl with 34 appearances followed by Michigan (20). USC has won a record 25 Rose Bowls with their most recent in 2017 in another thriller as they toppled No. 5 Penn State 52-49.
The Rose Bowl has been a collegiate classic with a number of firsts including the first local radio broadcast of an East-West bowl game in 1926, the first transcontinental radio broadcast of a sporting event in 1927, the first local telecast of a college football game in 1948, the first national telecast of a college football game in 1952, the first coast-to-cast color telecast of a collegiate football game in 1962, the first No. 1 vs No. 2 match-up in a bowl game in 1963, and the first College Football Playoff Semifinal in 2015.
Recent Rose Bowl News
- College Football Betting Preview: Florida Gators (5/16/2019) - Florida Gators Head coach: Dan Mullen (second year) Last year’s record: 10-3 (5-3 SEC), Peach Bowl win against Michigan, 41-15 Final AP ranking: No. 7… ...Read More
- Top NFL Draft Proposition Bets (4/23/2019) - Heisman-winning quarterback Kyler Murray is far from a sure thing as the No. 1 overall NFL draft pick on Thursday in Nashville. While Murray is… ...Read More
- Lawrence, Tagovailoa Open As 2019 Heisman Favorites (2/27/2019) - Your 2019 Heisman favorites are Alabama's Tagovailoa at +250, with Clemson's Trevor Lawrence pegged at +300. The college football season feels light years away, but… ...Read More
- Best 2019 College Football Championship Prop Bets (1/7/2019) - As with any big game, there's a huge platter of side plays that bettors can feast on. Here are the top five 2019 College Football Championship… ...Read More
- 2019 College Football National Championship Betting Free Pick (1/7/2019) - The two best college football programs for the past 3 seasons throw down at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, AZ on Monday, January 7 in… ...Read More
- College Football Championship Game Preview (1/7/2019) - Clemson Tigers +5.5 vs Alabama Crimson Tide (Monday 8 p.m. ET) Powerhouse programs will meet in the national championship game for the third time in… ...Read More
- Clemson Ready To Take Down Alabama in 2018 National Championship Game (1/4/2019) - The two alpha teams in college football meet again in the 2018 National Championship game when No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Clemson clash for… ...Read More
- 2019 Rose Bowl Betting – No.6 Ohio State vs. No.9 Washington (12/31/2018) - The “Granddaddy of them all“ is football’s oldest bowl game played since 1902. The 2019 Rose Bowl betting matchup will feature a Big Ten vs… ...Read More
- Injuries and Absences Impacting 2019 Fiesta Bowl Betting (12/31/2018) - This will be the third straight bowl appearance for Central Florida, and the Knights enter on an absurd 26-game winning streak dating back to last… ...Read More
- Kick-Off New Year’s With This 2019 Citrus Bowl Free Pick! (12/31/2018) - SEC upstart Kentucky travels to Camping World Stadium in Orlando to take on Big Ten power Penn State in the 2019 Citrus Bowl on Tuesday,… ...Read More
- 2018 Outback Bowl – Defensive Duel Expected Between No. 18 Mississippi State vs Iowa (12/31/2018) - The No. 18 Mississippi State Bulldogs and Iowa Hawkeyes kick-off New Year’s Day in the 2018 Outback Bowl at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.… ...Read More
- 2019 Sugar Bowl Betting – Will Georgia Rebound To Thwart Texas Longhorns? (12/31/2018) - Two of the best teams in the nation throw down at the Superdome in New Orleans on January 1. The 2019 Sugar Bowl betting encounter… ...Read More
- NC State Looks To Remain Hot Against Texas A&M in 2018 Taxslayer Bowl Betting Matchup (12/31/2018) - Drama abounds in the 2018 Taxslayer Bowl betting matchup. The North Carolina State Wolfpack looks to finish the season ranked in the College Football Playoff… ...Read More
- Will Northwestern Keep Up With Utah in 2018 Holiday Bowl Betting? (12/31/2018) - The Big Ten runner-up battles the Pac 12 runner up in the 2018 Holiday Bowl betting matchup on Monday, December 31. The #22 Northwestern Wildcats… ...Read More
- 2018 Military Bowl Betting Free Pick (12/30/2018) - A rising program and one that must rediscover it’s footing head to Navy-Marine Corp Memorial Stadium on Monday, December 31 for the 2018 Military Bowl… ...Read More
- 2018 Sun Bowl Free Pick – The Value Play on New Year’s Eve (12/30/2018) - Bettors will have to choose between two good football teams that were challenged by tough schedules which is why I'm here with a 2018 Sun… ...Read More
- 2018 Redbox Bowl Free Pick – Michigan State vs. Oregon Ducks (12/30/2018) - Oregon has the edges on offense while Michigan State has the stronger defense in a battle of teams with contrasting styles in the newly sponsored… ...Read More
- Expect a Shootout in the 2018 Liberty Bowl Betting (12/30/2018) - If high scoring shootouts and flying footballs with little defensive resistance is your style, then tune into the 2018 Liberty Bowl betting battle on New… ...Read More
- Can Sooners Outlast Crimson Tide in 2018 Orange Bowl? (12/28/2018) - Instead of putting together an SEC Championship rematch between the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide and nemesis Georgia, the CFP Selection Committee decided to go with… ...Read More
- Clemson Overvalued Against Notre Dame in 2018 Cotton Bowl Betting (12/28/2018) - The Notre Dame Fighting Irish acquired their first ever bid to the College Football Playoff after an impressive undefeated season. On Dec. 29, the #3… ...Read More
- 2018 Peach Bowl Preview – Is This Jon Harbaugh’s College Swan Song? (12/28/2018) - Since returning to the college ranks, it's hard to call Jon Harbaugh's tenure at Michigan anything other than a rousing success. He's returned the Wolverines… ...Read More
- 2018 Arizona Bowl Betting – Arkansas State vs. Nevada (12/28/2018) - The Arkansas State Red Wolves travel to Tucson, Arizona on Saturday to take on the Nevada Wolf Pack in the 2018 Arizona Bowl facing a… ...Read More
- 2018 Belk Bowl – Can Virginia Overcome South Carolina? (12/28/2018) - The 2018 Belk Bowl in Charlotte, NC should have a good following of fans from both teams. The ACC vs SEC match-up has seen the… ...Read More
- CFP Semi Finals – No. 4 Oklahoma vs. No. 1 Alabama in 2018 Orange Bowl (12/27/2018) - The much-anticipated 2018 Orange Bowl and College Football Playoff matchup between No. 1 Alabama and No. 4 Oklahoma features two Heisman Trophy finalists and record… ...Read More
- Scully’s 2018 College Football Playoff Free Picks (12/27/2018) - College Football Semi Final - 2018 Orange Bowl Notre Dame Fighting Irish +13 vs Clemson Tigers (Saturday 4 p.m. ET) A pair of stingy defenses… ...Read More