Golf Betting Basics
While some bettors love the fast paced action of team sports, others prefer the calm and soothing tempo of golf betting. With a season that fills the void between NFL seasons, and essentially coincides with baseball, PGA Golf is a nice way to get wagers in on a tournament you’re going to take in over the weekend.
The Basics of Golf Betting
The basic way to bet on golf tournaments is to bet on the outright winner. The odds are usually presented in either American or fractional odds. An example would be a player to win a tournament at +900 or 9/1, which means you would win $900 on a $100 wager. The same logic would apply to a +1200 or 12/1 option as the wager would pay out $1200 on a $100 bet. Golf odds are usually listed under golf futures on most online sportsbooks.
Most sportsbooks will also golf odds on head-to-head matchups on golf as well, especially in the majors and high profile tournaments. The players in a head-to-head will receive a spread, which is measured in strokes, that applies to that day. An example would be Player A having a -4.5 handicap at -115 against Player B. Player A would have to score at least five strokes better than Player B to win the bet.
Head-to-head odds are available at the majors such as the Masters, U.S. Open, the Open and the PGA Championship as well as the Players Championship and the FedEx Cup. Some sportsbooks will release head-to-head golf odds on lesser tournaments if a significant matchup between two premier players emerges during the final day as well.
A Simple Strategy to Golf Betting Odds
Betting on golf usually requires bettors to sink a few wagers in on their favorites and hope that they cash in. Even the heavy favorites will be listed underdogs, meaning that the steepest odds you’ll see at a PGA event is usually somewhere between +300 to +500. The odds from there can go all the way up to +10000 for the true longshots.
Most will sprinkle some money on two favorites, and one or two outsiders in the +1500 to +2500 range. This usually covers you and gives you a chance to ride the hot hand or key in on a bet featuring a player who has success on a particular course or at a certain event.
20 Most Popular Golf Terms and Definitions
Golf is becoming an increasingly popular sport to bet, and the new sports betting laws to allow legal sports betting in the U.S. will help grow golf betting even more. Daily fantasy golf has helped increase the interest in golf and betting, and having an understanding of golf terms and definitions will assist you when wagering or watching golf.
- Ace – hole-in-one, a score of 1 on a hole
- All Square – term used in match play scoring to indicate that the match is even at present
- Back Nine – the last nine holes (10-18) of an 18 hole golf course
- Bent Grass – a very smooth, fine-bladed grass usually used for putting greens
- Birdie – a score of 1 under par for a hole
- Blind Shot – a shot where the intended landing area is not visible from the players perspective
- Bogey – a score of 1 over par for a hole
- Break – the curve of a putt or running shot due to the slop of the terrain and gravity
- Caddy – someone who carries a players bag of clubs or assists a player with advice
- Chip – a shot designed to roll farther than it flies
- Divot – a portion of turf that is ripped out of the ground
- Eagle – a score of 2 under par for a hole
- Fairway – the closely mowed area between the tee and green
- Green – putting green or putting surface
- Iron – a club with a head made of steel or iron and relatively narrow sole
- Par – the standard number of strokes in which a scratch player would be expected to complete a hole or course.
- Putt – a shot that is intended to make the ball roll on the ground, using a putter or flat stick on the green or putting surface
- Score – the number of strokes taken on a hole or course and kept on a scorecard
- Shot – a stroke in golf and its result
- Tee – peg, a small usually wooden device for setting the ball up above the ground for the first shot on a hole
Recent Golf News
- PGA Tour: Zurich Classic Preview (4/24/2019)- This week the PGA Tour moves to the Crescent City for the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. Its format is unique in that it now… ...Read More
- Lowry Leads, Johnson Looms in RBC Heritage (4/19/2019)- After a nearly four-hour rain delay, the PGA resumed the second round of the RBC Heritage at Harbour Town Golf Links late Friday afternoon, but… ...Read More
- PGA: Key Plays at RBC Heritage (4/18/2019)- Following the dramatic fifth Masters title and 15th major championship victory by Tiger Woods will prove an unenviable task. But the eyes of the golf… ...Read More
- World No. 1 Dustin Johnson Favored to Win RBC Heritage (4/16/2019)- Fresh off a second-place tie in the Masters, the No. 1 golfer in the world, Dustin Johnson, is back in his home state of South… ...Read More
- Tiger’s Turnaround Complete With Masters Victory (4/15/2019)- Almost unthinkable a couple years ago, the great Tiger Woods played four rounds of exceptional golf to win the 2019 Masters Tournament on Sunday. Tiger… ...Read More
- The Masters: Adjusted Odds and Free Picks for Saturday (4/13/2019)- Heading into the 2019 Masters Tournament third round, one name stands out among the favorites. Eldrick Tont “Tiger” Woods offers +700 odds to continue his… ...Read More
- PGA Masters: Tiger a Stroke Off Heading into Saturday (4/13/2019)- The 2019 Masters Tournament heads into weekend play with some familiar names at the top. No name near the top is as familiar as Tiger… ...Read More
- Phil Mickelson Makes Masters Push (4/12/2019)- Phil Mickelson isn’t supposed to win the Masters. He hasn't finished better than 37th since he won the Pebble Beach Pro-Am in February, missed the… ...Read More
- How to Bet the Each Way (E/W) Market & Win at the 2019 Masters (4/11/2019)- The most prestigious golf tournament of the year starts on Thursday at Augusta National. Betting on golf is extremely fun and there are several ways… ...Read More
- The Masters: Top Holes at Augusta National (4/10/2019)- The first major of the year takes place this week when the best golfers in the world head to Augusta National for the 2019 Masters… ...Read More
- Best Prop Bets for the 2019 Masters (4/10/2019)- Players tee off in Round 1 at the 2019 Masters Tournament on Thursday. BetAmerica oddsmakers are offering wagering options for more than just head-to-head matchups… ...Read More
- The Case for Tommy Fleetwood in the 2019 Masters (4/10/2019)- The third time could be the charm for Tommy Fleetwod in the 2019 Masters. After failing to make the cut in his first Masters appearance… ...Read More
- 2019 Masters Tournament Preview (4/9/2019)- The likes of Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth are all at Augusta National this week to compete in the 83rd Masters Tournament.… ...Read More
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: A 2019 Masters Preview With Garett Skiba (4/9/2019)- On this week's episode of the Who Do Ya Like Podcast over the Bet America Radio Network, Scott Shapiro welcomes in the incredibly successful sports… ...Read More
- 2019 PGA Valero Texas Open (4/3/2019)- Fowler The Solid Favorite at Valero Texas Open Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson have decided to skip this week’s PGA Tournament, the Valero Texas Open… ...Read More
- Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods to Face Each Other in WGC-Match Play (3/29/2019)- Rory and Tiger Meet in Match Play for the First Time Following his win at the Players Championship, Rory McIlroy opened as the favorite, along… ...Read More
- 2019 PGA Valspar Championship Preview (3/20/2019)- Dustin Johnson leads the 2019 PGA Valspar Championship field. Johnson’s the only golfer on the BetAmerica board offering odds of less than +1000. Check out… ...Read More
- Keep an Eye on Justin Thomas in Players Championship (3/14/2019)- Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy opened as favorites (+1150) at this weekend’s Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass. Right behind was 25-year-old rising star Justin Thomas,… ...Read More
- THE PLAYERS Championship Futures – Rory Hopes to Score a Win as the Favorite (3/13/2019)- Golf’s top players descend upon TPC-Sawgrass for this week’s THE PLAYERS Championship. The TPC offers a purse of $12,000,000 this year, making it one of… ...Read More
- Is Rory McIlroy Fit To Defend His Crown at 2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational? (3/6/2019)- The best on the PGA Tour head to Bay Hill Club & Lodge in Orlando, Florida this week for the 2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational. One… ...Read More
- 2019 Honda Classic Futures – Can Thomas Repeat? (2/27/2019)- Justin Thomas shows up as a massive favorite to win the 2019 Honda Classic this week. Which of the favorites deserves a long look? Also,… ...Read More
- 2019 WGC-Mexico Championship Futures – Thomas, Johnson, McIlroy Lead Charge (2/20/2019)- Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, and Rory McIlroy offer favorites odds to win the 2019 WGC-Mexico Championship. Defending champion Phil Mickelson will be in the mix… ...Read More
- 2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Betting Odds (2/6/2019)- One of the top tournaments on the PGA Tour takes place starting this Thursday, Feb. 7 when golfers head to Northern California with 2019 AT&T Pebble… ...Read More
- PGA – 2019 Farmer’s Insurance Open Preview (1/23/2019)- The PGA pros move on to Torrey Pines Golf Course and southern California for the 2019 Farmer’s Insurance Open starting January 24th through January 27th.… ...Read More
- 2018 Ryder Cup Odds (9/27/2018)- World golf rankings would suggest the USA should dominate the European team in the Ryder Cup held in Paris this weekend. The trouble is, the… ...Read More