2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Betting Odds

Profile Picture: D.S. Williamson

D.S. Williamson

February 6th, 2019

One of the top tournaments on the PGA Tour takes place starting this Thursday, Feb. 7 when golfers head to Northern California with 2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am betting lives on the line.

Only two golfers offer less than quadruple-digit odds - Dustin Johnson and Jason Day. Both figure to have a shot to win on Sunday, but just choosing a single golfer from the pool of all available options won’t lead to many cashed tickets. It’s best to break up the field into 3 different categories: favorites, longshots with a chance, and wild underdogs.

You can then decide how to spread around what you wish to wager on the entire tournament. Maybe, you wish to put 60% of your AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am betting bankroll towards Dustin Johnson at +450. Then, you can put 20% towards those who figure based on odds and 20% towards a dog with some bite.

Playing a golf tournament this way gives you the best chance of cashing on the winner. It’s difficult to choose the winner of any golf tournament. Last year, Ted Potter Jr. won the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. He turned professional in 2002. The AT&T Pebble Beach victory was only his second PGA Tour win.

Check out an analysis of the main players in each category along with my picks for each category.

2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Favorites

Dustin Johnson +450
Jason Day +750
The 34-year-old Johnson won back-to-back Pebble Beach Pro-Am trophies in 2009 and 2010. He’s hit the ball well at the tournament since then, though, finishing as the runner-up in 2014 and last year. Johnson’s also showed excellent form in his last couple of tournaments: the Hero World Challenge where he finished 7th, and the Sentry Tournament of Champions where he finished 4th.

Although DJ looks like a solid play, Jason Day might be the one to back in the favorites category. He’s already played in 5 tournaments this PGA Tour Season. He’s recorded two Top-5 finishes and made the cut in the other two tournaments.

The WGC-HSBC Champions doesn’t use the cut system. Day finished 11th in that elimination tournament.

Jason Day offers must better odds than Dustin Johnson. If you wish to back a favorite, he’s the choice.

2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Betting Pick: Jason Day

2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Longshots

Tony Finau +1800
Patrick Cantlay +1800
Matt Kuchar +2000
Jordan Spieth +2000
Chev Reavie +2200
Patrick Reed +2500
Adam Scott +2500
Sounds crazy, but there’s a stand out in this category. First, it’s important to knock down a few of the other golfers.

Tony Finau had a decent 2018 and up until this past week’s Waste Management Phoenix Open, where he missed the cut, he had played strong. Finau has only a few days to get back to his best form. He didn’t hit the Pebble Beach links last year, making it difficult to know how he’ll play over Pebble Beach’s three courses.

Patrick Cantlay finished at -1 and tied for 35th in last year’s Pebble Beach Pro-Am. He too missed the cut in his last tournament, the Farmers Insurance Open. Unlike Finau, Cantlay took the weekend off to rest up for Pebble Beach. He’s got a better shot to win than Finau.

Both Spieth and Mickelson are being over played. Spieth missed the cut at both the Sony Open and the Mayakoba Golf Classic. He finished 35th at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Phil did finish tied for 2nd at least year’s AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, but he missed the cut in his last, the Waste Management Phoenix Open. It’s hard to see Mickelson playing as well this week at Pebble Beach, especially over Spyglass Hill, one of the toughest courses in the U.S., like he did last year.

Matt Kuchar finished tied at 62nd last year, but he’s on fire heading to Monterey County. Kuchar’s won 2-of-4, not just finish in the Top 5, he took home the trophies. Not only that, but he finished 4th at the Waste Management Phoenix Open. If you like to back golfers with recent form, nobody should talk you off Kuchar.

He’s not the top play, though. The top play, the standout play, is Chez Reavie. He not only finished tied for 2nd at last year’s Pebble Beach Pro-Am, but he’s also made the cut in all 8 of the tournament’s he’s played this season. He finished 4th at the Waste Management.

Chez Reavie appears poised to make a run for the title. He also offers excellent odds.

2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Betting Pick: Chez Reavie

The Even Bigger Longshots

Shane Lowry +3000
Branden Grace +3000
Matthew Fitzpatrick +3500
Sung Jae Im +4000
Rafa Cabrera Bello +4500
Jason Kokrak +4500
Cameron Champ +5000
Lowry, Grace, and Fitzpatrick all offer odds less than what Sung Jae Im offers. Im, though, is a much better play at +4000 than any of the dogs with lower odds.

Shane Lowry has yet to tee off in a PGA Tour event this season. He shot a +2 at the 2018 Pebble Beach Pro-Am. That won’t be nearly good enough to put him into the Top 20, much less get him close enough to winning on Sunday.

Branden Grace almost won the Waste Management. But before that, Grace had struggled, missing the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open.

English player Matthew Fitzpatrick finished 54th at the WGC-HSBC Champions. He didn’t play in last year’s Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Those backing Fitzpatrick must feel he’ll have success over Pebble Beach’s links courses.

None of the three mentioned above offer as much value as 20-year-old South Korean player Sung Jae Im. Im’s played in 10 tournaments already this PGA Tour Season, making the cut in 8. He only has a single Top 10 finish. It happened in his last tournament played, which means he’s in great form heading to Pebble Beach.

Take a long look at Sung Jae Im if you want to back a dog that could win ala Ted Potter Jr. last year. Im might be finding his best form and he’s too young to know he’s not supposed to hang with guys like Jordan Spieth, Phil Mickelson, Jason Day, and Dustin Johnson.

2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Betting Pick: Sung Jae Im
Article Image