Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes
- Location: Churchill Downs – Louisville, KY
- Inaugural Race: 1920
- Distance: 1 1/16 miles (8.5 furlongs)
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Two-year-olds
- 2018 Purse: $200,000
- 2018 Race Date: Saturday, November 24th
Recent Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes News
- Rating the First Round of 2019 Kentucky Derby Preps (12/17/2018)- With the running of Sunday's Remington Springboard Mile, the last North American Kentucky Derby prep race of the year entered the history books, bringing to… ...Read More
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Contender Profile: Signalman (11/25/2018)- Million-dollar yearlings make headlines from the moment they change hands at auction. But what about $32,000 yearlings? They have to wait and let their racing… ...Read More
- Signalman Digs Deep in Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (11/25/2018)- You can argue that luck played a significant role in allowing Signalman to reach the wire first in Saturday’s $200,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr.… ...Read More
- Playing Against the Favorites in the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (11/22/2018)- Full field? Check. Competitive betting race? Check. Official Kentucky Derby prep race? Check again. The 2018-19 Road to the Kentucky Derby will resume on Saturday… ...Read More
- Breeders’ Cup Among Highlights of September and Fall Meets at Churchill Downs (9/9/2018)- Starting this Friday and continuing through the end of November, Churchill Downs racetrack—home of the Kentucky Derby—will host a pair of race meets that will… ...Read More
2018 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes Entries and Results
|1||Signalman||Brian Joseph Hernandez, Jr.||Kenneth G. McPeek||$9.20||$5.20||$3.80|
|5||Plus Que Parfait||Julien R. Leparoux||Brendan P. Walsh||$14.20||$9.80|
|7||Limonite||Ricardo Santana, Jr.||Steven M. Asmussen||$9.20|
|12||King for a Day||John R. Velazquez||Todd A. Pletcher|
|10||Roiland||Edgar Morales||Thomas M. Amoss|
|2||Tracksmith||Adam Beschizza||Joe Sharp|
|9||Current||Javier Castellano||Todd A. Pletcher|
|14||Topper T||Florent Geroux||William I. Mott|
|4||Dunph||Tyler Gaffalione||Michael J. Maker|
|8||Royal Urn||Leonel Reyes||Michelle Nihei|
|13||Knicks Go||Albin Jimenez||Ben Colebrook|
|11||Mick's Star||Corey J. Lanerie||Thomas M. Amoss|
|6||Blue Steel||Robby Albarado||Dale L. Romans|
|15||Everfast||Channing Hill||Dale L. Romans|
- Exacta (1-5) Paid: $97.00
- Trifecta (1-5-7) Paid: $209.00
- Superfecta (1-5-7-12) Paid: $270.00
- Daily Double (10-1) Paid: $115.00
- Pick 3 (6-10-1) Paid: $2,219.00
Watch the 2018 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes
The History of the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes
The Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes is one of the most important targets for 2-year-olds in the aftermath of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. It is an important event on the Road to the Kentucky Derby series, with the winner getting 10 points, the runner-up four, the third-place finisher two, and the fourth-place finisher one.
Run at night, the race also gives possible Kentucky Derby contenders a chance to experience Churchill Downs – which can prove useful, even if the atmosphere isn’t quite that of the First Saturday in May.
In its early years, the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes was a very good indicator of Derby success. Three of the first 11 winners of the race – Reigh Count (1927), Clyde Van Dusen (1928), and Twenty Grand (1930) – found their way back to the winner’s enclosure for the Kentucky Derby.
The strike rate hasn’t been fantastic since then. However, there is one recent Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes victor – 2009 winner Super Saver – that went on to take the Derby the next year. The only other horse to complete the double was Cannonade in the mid-1970s.
However, there are numerous good horses that win the race, and some of them are major Derby prospects, among them the 2016 winner McCraken.
One other Derby event which the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes has a big impact on is Pool 1 of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager. There are only four chances to bet on the Kentucky Derby prior to the week of the race, and one of those – Pool 1 – is held over a four-day period that includes the running of the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes. Victory, or failure, in this event for any horses named as individual options in Future Wager Pool 1 will see their price shorten considerably prior to the end of the pool the day after the race.