Smarty Jones Stakes
- Location: Oaklawn Park Racetrack, Hot Springs, AR
- Inaugural Race: 2008
- Distance: One mile
- Track Type: Left-handed, Dirt
- Age Qualifications: Three-year-olds
- 2018 Purse: $150,000
- 2018 Race Date: Monday, January 15th
2018 Smarty Jones Stakes Entries & Results
|4||Mourinho||Drayden Van Dyke||Bob Baffert||$3.20||$2.10|
|1||Combatant||Ricardo Santana, Jr.||Steven M. Asmussen||$2.40|
|3||Tap Daddy||Luis Contreras||Steven M. Asmussen|
|7||Bode's Maker||Floyd Wethey, Jr.||Allen Milligan|
|5||Arched Feather||Jon Kenton Court||Edward Harrison Frederick|
Recent Smarty Jones Stakes News
- Mourinho, Combatant Impress in Smarty Jones Stakes (1/16/2018) - In the hours following the $150,000 Smarty Jones Stakes on Monday at Oaklawn Park, most of the focus was on the impressive winner Mourinho, who ...Read More
- Will Combatant Upset Mourinho in the Smarty Jones? (1/11/2018) - When playing the races, one of my favorite angles to watch for is a horse receiving a very specific type of troubled trip, a trip ...Read More
- Keen Ice Faces 3-Year-Olds in Jockey Club Gold Cup (10/5/2017) - Punters looking to play the Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1) at Belmont Park Oct. 7 have one major question to ask: do they trust the ...Read More
Watch the 2017 Smarty Jones Stakes
History of the Smarty Jones Stakes
One of the newest races on the Kentucky Derby trail is the Smarty Jones Stakes at Oaklawn Park. Named after the 2004 Kentucky Derby winner, the Smarty Jones Stakes is the first of four races for Derby-bound 3-year-olds at the Hot Springs, Arkansas track – the others being the Southwest Stakes, Rebel Stakes, and Arkansas Derby.
The race is named after Smarty Jones, winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes in 2004. Many believed Smarty Jones would break the Triple Crown drought that year, but he lost to Birdstone in the Belmont Stakes.
The race (not to be confused with a race by the same name at Parx) earned enough prestige in its short history to be made part of the inaugural Road to the Kentucky Derby series in 2013, and it has remained there since. The first four finishers earn points in the series with a 10-4-2-1 split.
The Smarty Jones Stakes hasn’t produced a winner of any of the Triple Crown races in its short history. But it has been won by a winner of the Champion Three-Year-Old Male title – that was Will Take Charge, who wasn’t in the money in the Triple Crown races but who later won the Travers Stakes and finished second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. Other winners include the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile winner Caleb’s Posse and the triple grade one winner Flat Out.
When looking for the winner, it’s best to look at late 2-year-old form, particularly in Kentucky. The Remington Springboard Mile at Remington Park in December is also a good form guide for the Smarty Jones Stakes.
Smarty Jones Stakes Trivia
Past Winners of the Smarty Jones Stakes
Year Horse Jockey Trainer Owner
2016 Discreetness Jon Court William H. Fires Xpress Thoroughbreds
2015 Far Right Mike E. Smith Ron Moquett LaPenta/Rosenblum
2014 Tanzanite Cat Norberto Arroyo Jr. Cody Autrey James & Ywachetta Driver
2013 Will Take Charge Jon Court D. Wayne Lukas Willis Horton
2012 Junebugred Joe Bravo Steve Hobby Alex & JoAnn Lieblong
2011 Caleb's Posse Eusebio Razo Jr. Donnie Von Hemel McNeill Stables/Cheyenne Stables
2010 Dryfly Calvin Borel Lynn S. Whiting Charles J. Cella
2009 Flat Out Julio A. Garcia Charles L. Dickey Oxbox Racing
2008 Liberty Bull Eusebio Razo, Jr. Thomas M. Amoss Kenneth Maier