National Basketball Association
The NBA was founded in 1946 in New York City and is considered the premier men’s professional basketball league in the world. The “Association”, as it’s also known, is an active member of USA Basketball and is comprised of 30 teams, with 29 in the United States and one in Canada.
|1946||The BAA, the precursor to the NBA, is formed.|
|1952||The East defeats the West in the inaugural NBA All-Star Game.|
|1954||The 24-second shot clock is introduced and immediately speeds up pace of play.|
|1964||The lane is widened from 12 to 16 feet due to the interior dominance of Wilt Chamberlain.|
|1971||The NBA debuts its iconic silhouette logo modeled after Lakers legend Jerry West.|
|1976||The Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, New York Nets and San Antonio Spurs join the league as part of the ABA-NBA merger.|
|1979||The three-point line is added.|
|1980||The Dallas Mavericks join the league.|
|1985||The NBA introduces the Draft Lottery. Patrick Ewing is the first pick under the league’s new format.|
|1987||The NBA adds teams in Charlotte, Miami, Minnesota and Orlando.|
|1995||The Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies join the NBA.|
|2001||The Grizzlies relocate to Memphis.|
|2002||Instant replay is added|
|2008||The Seattle SuperSonics relocate to Oklahoma City and become the Thunder.|
|2010||The NBA All-Star Game is played at Cowboys Stadium in front of 108,713 fans.|
|2012||The New Jersey Nets relocate to Brooklyn.|
Hungry for more hoops? Visit the NBA’s official website for more news, stats and information.
Betting on NBA Basketball
Betting on the moneyline, spread and total in NBA basketball remain the go-to option for most players. Futures and prop betting have become increasingly popular as well, especially in recent seasons with major player movement. BetAmerica also offers wagering on international leagues, Olympics and World Cup events.
NBA Moneyline Betting
The moneyline is a wager on the straight-up winner of the game. In most cases, there will be a favorite and an underdog listed for each game. Placing a bet on the favorite will offer a lower payout, while placing a bet on an underdog will offer a premium payout, should they win. The NBA moneyline is typically based on the bet required to win $100 if betting on the favorite vs. the potential win for a bet of $100 placed on the underdog.
NBA Against the Spread Betting
The point spread is the number of points taken from the favorite, or assigned to the underdog, to give both sides an even chance of winning the wager. For instance, if the Los Angeles Lakers are -10 favorites against the Sacramento Kings, they will need to win their game by 11 points or more to “cover” the spread. Conversely, the Kings need to either win or lose by nine points or less to cover.
Against the Spread (ATS) bets add excitement to games that may otherwise be lopsided affairs.
NBA Over/Under Betting
An NBA over/under bet involves simply choosing whether you think there will be more total points scored by both teams, or less total scores, than the figure listed on the published line.
NBA Futures Betting
Futures, as the name suggests, are wagers based upon events which may, or may not, transpire at a much later date. The futures market for the NBA revolves heavily around which team will win the NBA Championship, as well as which players will win annual awards such as the MVP and Rookie of the Year. These are long-term investments that can reap big rewards for savvy bettors.
Teams with the Most NBA Championships
|Franchise||Total Titles||Last Title|
|Los Angeles Lakers||16||2010|
|Golden State Warriors||6||2018|
|San Antonio Spurs||5||2014|
- 11 of the NBA’s 30 franchises have never won a championship
- Of the remaining teams that have won a championship, no franchise has suffered a longer drought than the Kings, who won their first – and only – NBA title in 1951
- The Lakers and Celtics have collectively appeared in 52 NBA Finals over the past 72 years
Recent NBA News
- NBA Roundtable: David Fizdale’s seat has become a fire hazard (11/13/2019) - BetAmerica has teamed up with Covers and Oddschecker to break down the latest news and trends from around the Association. This week, NBA columnists Andrew Caley,… ...Read More
- NBA on TNT picks: Celtics vs. Hornets, Blazers vs. Clippers (11/7/2019) - The NBA is back on TNT with an intriguing double-header featuring Kemba Walker's homecoming in Charlotte and a high octane Western Conference clash between the… ...Read More
- NBA Roundtable: The Suns are rising (11/5/2019) - BetAmerica is thrilled to be teaming up with Covers and Oddschecker for a new weekly feature breaking down the latest news and trends from around… ...Read More
- NBA on TNT picks: Heat vs. Hawks, Nuggets vs. Pelicans (10/31/2019) - The NBA is back on TNT with an intriguing double-header featuring a Southeast showdown between the Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks and a good ol'… ...Read More
- NBA Roundtable: Will the Warriors miss the playoffs? (10/29/2019) - BetAmerica is thrilled to be teaming up with Covers and Oddschecker for a new weekly feature breaking down the latest news and trends from around… ...Read More
- The one glaring reason your team won’t win the NBA championship (10/16/2019) - The NBA preseason is a time where hope springs eternal. You know the drill: every team has a player who reported to camp in the… ...Read More
- Clippers and Lakers open with shortest odds to win NBA Championship (10/11/2019) - All roads to the NBA Finals lead through L.A. The Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers have claimed the shortest odds to win the… ...Read More
- Basketball: Team USA still odds-on favorite to win FIBA World Cup (8/9/2019) - Imagine if you threw a party and no one came. That’s the reality of the U.S. men’s national basketball team, who will head to the… ...Read More
- Five intriguing wagers at the sportsbook ‘buffet’ (7/9/2019) - When it comes to betting, an online sportsbook is like the greatest Vegas buffet in the world. There's plenty to choose from. You might overindulge,… ...Read More
- 2019 NBA Playoffs Preview (4/11/2019) - The 2019 NBA Playoff Picture: Can Golden State Win Three Straight? Since the Minneapolis Lakers first won three NBA titles in a row in the… ...Read More
- Wednesday NBA Free Picks – Five Top Teams Hit The Court Tonight! (2/13/2019) - On Wednesdays, the NBA loves to put on a show and tonight is no exception when five of the top teams in the league hit… ...Read More
- Bucks-Raptors Clash During Entertaining Thursday Night in NBA (2/6/2019) - The top two teams in the Eastern Conference clash in a pivotal flag-planting game north of the border. Not only that, but the Clippers take… ...Read More
- Thursday NBA Free Picks – Bucks-Raptors May Set Tone in East (1/31/2019) - We haven’t yet reached the halfway point in the current NBA Season, but one of the most important matchups of the year already takes place.… ...Read More
- Thursday NBA on TNT Free Picks (1/24/2019) - Only 4 games are scheduled on NBA Thursday night and all four should provide plenty of entertainment. The first, which airs as TNT’s early game,… ...Read More
- NBA Free Picks – Pacers Favored Against Sixers…and more! (1/17/2019) - Three NBA games will be nationally televised on Thursday, Jan. 17. The first is between the New York Knicks and suddenly entertaining Washington Wizards, which… ...Read More
- Thursday NBA Free Picks – Best Prime Time Bets (1/10/2019) - TNT broadcasts two of the most competitive games of the week on Thursday, Jan. 10. The first battle has the Boston Celtics taking on the… ...Read More
- Butler, Chandler, Melo Drive Dramatic NBA Weekend (11/12/2018) - Well that was a wild sports weekend, and clawing for our attention as always is the ever-spinning NBA news cycle. Three impactful stories came shooting… ...Read More
- 2019 NBA Draft – The Battle for Zion Williamson Is On (11/7/2018) - Zion Williamson is, quite simply, a player worth tanking for. We try to pretend that there are transcendent players in every draft, and that isn't… ...Read More
- NBA Betting Strategies For Opening Night (10/16/2018) - The NBA betting season tips off Oct. 17 with two marquee match-ups. An Eastern Conference Atlantic division showdown starts the season in Boston, where the… ...Read More
- NBA Opening Night Lines – Boston or Philly? (10/16/2018) - NBA opening night is finally here as the Sixers visit the Celtics in an Eastern Conference showdown. A key player will be missing from the… ...Read More
- NBA MVP Odds – LeBron Favored at +300 (10/16/2018) - The leading favorite in NBA MVP odds for the upcoming season is LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers) who has a +300 mark right now. The… ...Read More
- Are The Indiana Pacers The Best In NBA Central? (10/15/2018) - With LeBron James taking his talents to some beach on the west coast, the NBA Central Division is up for grabs for the first time… ...Read More
- Season Win Totals – The Battle for the NBA Atlantic Division (10/11/2018) - The NBA Atlantic Division is am embarrassment of top-heavy riches. The Sixers, Celtics and Raptors are the three best teams in the Eastern Conference and… ...Read More
- NBA Season Win Totals – Northwest Division (10/10/2018) - Golden State and Houston may have been the best two teams in the Western Conference and all of basketball last season, but the Northwest division… ...Read More
- 2018-19 NBA Schedule (Partly) Released (8/8/2018) - by BetAmerica Staff We may not have the full slate of games for the entire 2018-19 NBA schedule just yet, but the league has released… ...Read More
Click here to read all posts on the NBA