NFL Championships: 1958, 1959, 1968
2018 Indianapolis Colts Game Schedule
|Week 1||9/9||Cincinnati Bengals||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 2||9/16||at Washington Redskins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 3||9/23||at Philadelphia Eagles||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 4||9/30||Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 5||10/4||at New England Patriots||8:20pm||FOX / NFLN|
|Week 6||10/14||at New York Jets||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 7||10/21||Buffalo Bills||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 8||10/25||at Oakland Raiders||4:05pm||CBS|
|Week 10||11/11||Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 11||11/18||Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 12||11/25||Miami Dolphins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 13||12/2||at Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 14||12/9||at Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 15||12/16||Dallas Cowboys||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 16||12/23||New York Giants||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 17||12/30||at Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
Indianapolis Colts Team History
There is no way to discuss the history of the Indianapolis Colts without discussing their sordid beginning in Baltimore.
The All America Football Conference began in 1946, and during its second season a team known as the Miami Seahawks relocated to Maryland and became the Baltimore Colts. After three strong seasons, the team joined the newly formed NFL in 1950 but was not financially stable. Disbanded following the 1950 season, the franchise was reassembled in 1953 under the guidance of the city and owner Carroll Rosenbloom.
Under the lead of Johnny Unitas as quarterback the Colts went 9-3 in 1958 and reached the NFL Championship where they beat the New York Football Giants in a contest widely regarded as the greatest game ever played from that era. The Colts would face the Giants a year later, and secure back-to-back championships in 1959. Unitas made his fourth NFL Championship appearance in 1968 where the Colts won Super Bowl III with Don Shula serving as head coach.
In 1970, Rosenbloom would be instrumental in the AFL-NFL merger that created the league we know today. The Colts stood as a powerhouse in the newly formed National Football League, beating the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 in Super Bowl V (1970). They would return to the AFC Championship the following year, but fall short against the Miami Dolphins.
Following the 1971 season, Rosenbloom would trade the franchise to Jim Irsay in exchange for the Los Angeles Rams. Under Irsay, the team fell from grace for over a decade. A glimmer of hope arrived when the team was awarded the first overall pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, providing them a chance to draft John Elway. Unfortunately, even after being selected, Elway refused to play for the team and was traded to the Denver Broncos where he has since become a multiple-Super Bowl winning institution. The Baltimore Colts would finish 7-9 through 1983 during what was inevitably their final season in the city.
Due to a major conflict between Irsay and the city of Baltimore surrounding stadium upgrades (which had also been a source of tension for Rosenbloom), the team relocated and became the Indianapolis Colts in 1984. The team was received extremely well by the city of Indianapolis despite a poor on-field product.
It wouldn’t be until the Peyton Manning era began in 1998 that the Colts really found their traction in NFL competition. The young Tennessee Volunteer quarterback was taken in the first round of the draft and then took the Colts to two Super Bowl victories in 2006 and 2009 before his final year as a Colt in 2011. During this run, Manning’s battles with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots would became known as “The Rivalry of the Decade”. Though real life friends off the field, their on-field battles are the stuff of legend.
Towards the end of his career, Manning would have neck surgery and be held off the field for the entire season before being allowed to sign with the Denver Broncos for the 2012 season. The departure from Indianapolis was amicable as Manning believed he had plenty more to offer, and the team was unsure of whether they could place a competitive team around their franchise player.
As Manning’s departure from the Colts was unfolding, Irsay was able to flip their 2-14 losing season from 2011 to take Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL Draft. Like Manning before him, Luck ushered in a new era as he established himself as one of the best talents in the modern era. The Luck campaign is still underway in Indianapolis following a litany of poor roster decisions, and the quarterback’s own injury problems. Finally returning to the top of their division and in the top level of competition in the NFL, the Colts are looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued disappointing 2017 that saw them go just 4-12 SU and 8-8 ATS with Luck on the sidelines.
Recent Indianapolis Colts News
- Scully’s Week 3 NFL picks: Fading backup QBs, AFC South (9/20/2019) - Pittsburgh and New Orleans each had offensive questions even before they lost their franchise quarterbacks to injury, and with backups taking over in Week 3,… ...Read More
- The Miami Dolphins and the 5 worst teams in NFL history (9/18/2019) - The Miami Dolphins made the wrong kind of history on Sunday afternoon when they became the first team since the 1973 New Orleans Saints to… ...Read More
- Bettor’s Remorse: The 5 NFL teams that burned me in Week 2 (9/17/2019) - Is there anything worse than reading a book or watching a movie and getting to the end only to feel like your investment of time,… ...Read More
- Top 5 overreaction NFL plays for Week 2 (9/11/2019) - Week 2 is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of Week 1 overreactions. Here are our top five plays going against those knee jerks. ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 1 NFL Six Pack (9/5/2019) - Last year Scott Shapiro provided readers with a four pack of games each weekend, but in 2019 he will ramp things up and chat about… ...Read More
- What we learned from Week 4 of the NFL preseason (9/3/2019) - While the fourth game of the preseason is typically uneventful, plenty of movement occurred off the field, including major trades from Houston and the (imminent)… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s NFL futures plays (8/28/2019) - Whether you want to take a shot with a team to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy, would rather take a stand on who will be… ...Read More
- 5 NFL players who should retire immediately (8/27/2019) - In light of the recent jaw-dropping news that Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has decided to retire from the NFL, it's time to turn the spotlight… ...Read More
- Five teams most affected by Andrew Luck’s retirement (8/26/2019) - While Indianapolis and its mourning fans figure out life after Andrew Luck, several teams are benefiting from the major roster shakeup. Here are five who… ...Read More
- Colts’ Super Bowl odds into freefall following Luck’s retirement (8/25/2019) - The Indianapolis Colts are officially out of Luck. The team's Super Bowl 54 odds have plummeted from +1600 to +5500 following Andrew Luck's stunning announcement… ...Read More
- Colts-Browns game highlights Saturday’s NFL preseason slate (8/16/2019) - Baker Mayfield may not get much playing time and likely won't have Odell Beckham Jr. on the field Saturday, but if he leads another touchdown… ...Read More
- NFL: Breaking down the weakest link on every AFC team (8/14/2019) - Following the first full week of the NFL preseason, we're left with plenty to break down—the good, the bad and the downright awful. Let's take… ...Read More
- Is Antonio Brown worth betting in NFL player futures? (8/13/2019) - The 2019 NFL regular season props board has a buffet of markets to feast on, but with the Oakland Raiders featured on Hard Knocks, it's… ...Read More
- Week 1 NFL preseason game-by-game odds and picks (8/8/2019) - It's is a perfect time to bet on football, as the bettor often has as much advantage as the sportsbook when it comes to predicting… ...Read More
- Who’s hot and who’s not in the NFL? (7/26/2019) - There is a phrase in sports psychology—"train your mind and the body will follow"—that alludes to the power of our beliefs, motivations and resiliency. It… ...Read More
- Will the Indianapolis Colts make the playoffs? Not so fast… (7/15/2019) - Andrew Luck is back! After many thought his career might be over following multiple injury issues and an entire lost season, Luck proved last year… ...Read More
- Early look NFL preview: Indianapolis Colts (7/12/2019) - Indianapolis Colts Head coach: Frank Reich (second year) Last year’s record: 10-6, lost in divisional round vs. Kansas City Chiefs, 31-13 First game: Sept. 8… ...Read More
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: An Initial Look at the 2019 NFL Season with Holden Kushner (6/27/2019) - On this week's episode of the Who Do Ya Like Podcast over the BetAmerica Radio Network, Scott Shapiro welcomes in Holden Kushner to take an… ...Read More
- NFL Futures: Patriots and Chiefs Still Favorites (5/21/2019) - The NFL regular season will be here before you know it. Check BetAmerica's updated odds on NFL Futures. Super Bowl LIV Odds New England Patriots… ...Read More
- Los Angeles Rams Open As Super Bowl 54 Co-Favorite (2/4/2019) - The blood on Jared Goff's hand isn't even dry, but sports betting is a forward-looking type of hobby so let's wait a minute to digest… ...Read More
- SBLIII – Do NFL Running Backs Matter? (1/30/2019) - Over the past few seasons, a very strange debate has broken out. Do NFL running backs matter in the grand scheme of the game? With… ...Read More
- 2019 NFL Pro Bowl Betting – The Super Bowl has a higher total (1/25/2019) - The NFL has made it a mission to turn the 2019 Pro Bowl betting matchup into something more than just a glorified, meaningless, celebration. They’ve… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s NFL Playoffs Selections and Analysis- Saturday’s Divisional Round (1/11/2019) - After a Wild Card round that was kind to those who backed underdogs, another great slate of playoff games is on tap this weekend in… ...Read More
- Odds to win Super Bowl Llll – Saints Posting As Clear +225 Favorites (1/10/2019) - Three underdogs pulled outright upsets in the Wild Card round. That runs the against the spread record to 10-0 since last year's playoffs. The race… ...Read More
- 2019 AFC Divisional Playoff Betting- Indianapolis Colts vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1/10/2019) - The Indianapolis Colts look to continue their winning ways after topping the Houston Texans 21-7 in opening round playoff action last week. The Colts have… ...Read More