NFL Championships: 1958, 1959, 1968
2018 Indianapolis Colts Game Schedule
|Week 1||9/9||Cincinnati Bengals||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 2||9/16||at Washington Redskins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 3||9/23||at Philadelphia Eagles||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 4||9/30||Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 5||10/4||at New England Patriots||8:20pm||FOX / NFLN|
|Week 6||10/14||at New York Jets||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 7||10/21||Buffalo Bills||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 8||10/25||at Oakland Raiders||4:05pm||CBS|
|Week 10||11/11||Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 11||11/18||Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 12||11/25||Miami Dolphins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 13||12/2||at Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 14||12/9||at Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 15||12/16||Dallas Cowboys||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 16||12/23||New York Giants||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 17||12/30||at Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
Indianapolis Colts Team History
There is no way to discuss the history of the Indianapolis Colts without discussing their sordid beginning in Baltimore.
The All America Football Conference began in 1946, and during its second season a team known as the Miami Seahawks relocated to Maryland and became the Baltimore Colts. After three strong seasons, the team joined the newly formed NFL in 1950 but was not financially stable. Disbanded following the 1950 season, the franchise was reassembled in 1953 under the guidance of the city and owner Carroll Rosenbloom.
Under the lead of Johnny Unitas as quarterback the Colts went 9-3 in 1958 and reached the NFL Championship where they beat the New York Football Giants in a contest widely regarded as the greatest game ever played from that era. The Colts would face the Giants a year later, and secure back-to-back championships in 1959. Unitas made his fourth NFL Championship appearance in 1968 where the Colts won Super Bowl III with Don Shula serving as head coach.
In 1970, Rosenbloom would be instrumental in the AFL-NFL merger that created the league we know today. The Colts stood as a powerhouse in the newly formed National Football League, beating the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 in Super Bowl V (1970). They would return to the AFC Championship the following year, but fall short against the Miami Dolphins.
Following the 1971 season, Rosenbloom would trade the franchise to Jim Irsay in exchange for the Los Angeles Rams. Under Irsay, the team fell from grace for over a decade. A glimmer of hope arrived when the team was awarded the first overall pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, providing them a chance to draft John Elway. Unfortunately, even after being selected, Elway refused to play for the team and was traded to the Denver Broncos where he has since become a multiple-Super Bowl winning institution. The Baltimore Colts would finish 7-9 through 1983 during what was inevitably their final season in the city.
Due to a major conflict between Irsay and the city of Baltimore surrounding stadium upgrades (which had also been a source of tension for Rosenbloom), the team relocated and became the Indianapolis Colts in 1984. The team was received extremely well by the city of Indianapolis despite a poor on-field product.
It wouldn’t be until the Peyton Manning era began in 1998 that the Colts really found their traction in NFL competition. The young Tennessee Volunteer quarterback was taken in the first round of the draft and then took the Colts to two Super Bowl victories in 2006 and 2009 before his final year as a Colt in 2011. During this run, Manning’s battles with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots would became known as “The Rivalry of the Decade”. Though real life friends off the field, their on-field battles are the stuff of legend.
Towards the end of his career, Manning would have neck surgery and be held off the field for the entire season before being allowed to sign with the Denver Broncos for the 2012 season. The departure from Indianapolis was amicable as Manning believed he had plenty more to offer, and the team was unsure of whether they could place a competitive team around their franchise player.
As Manning’s departure from the Colts was unfolding, Irsay was able to flip their 2-14 losing season from 2011 to take Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL Draft. Like Manning before him, Luck ushered in a new era as he established himself as one of the best talents in the modern era. The Luck campaign is still underway in Indianapolis following a litany of poor roster decisions, and the quarterback’s own injury problems. Finally returning to the top of their division and in the top level of competition in the NFL, the Colts are looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued disappointing 2017 that saw them go just 4-12 SU and 8-8 ATS with Luck on the sidelines.
Recent Indianapolis Colts News
- Is Lamar Jackson the greatest 22-year-old in NFL History? (12/5/2019) - Lamar Jackson is the runaway favorite to become the youngest NFL MVP since Jim Brown won at age 21 in 1957. But how does his… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 14 NFL Six Pack (12/5/2019) - We are at the quarter pole in the 2019 National Football League season, and as they turn for home, it is Lamar Jackson and the… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 13 Picks: Ravens set to continue ATS dominance (11/29/2019) - Week 13 features a meeting between Super Bowl hopefuls with Baltimore and San Francisco set to clash at M&T Bank Stadium. James Scully previews that… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 13 NFL Six Pack (11/28/2019) - The bye weeks are over, so even with a trio of games on Thanksgiving there are plenty of options to choose from on the Week… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Thursday Night Football preview: Colts vs. Texans (11/20/2019) - A crucial game in the AFC South, between the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans, will get the Thursday Night Football spotlight this week. ...Read More
- NFL Week 12 Betting Guide (11/18/2019) - Tom Brady may not be a fan of New England's offense, but there's still plenty to like about the Patriots, who are now 9-1 following… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 11 NFL Six Pack (11/14/2019) - Week 10 was arguably the most entertaining and captivating slate of games from an enjoyable 2019 NFL season. We got a bit of everything—upsets, nail… ...Read More
- NFL Week 10 Picks: Panthers visit Packers in key NFC matchup (11/9/2019) - It’s past the midway point of the NFL season, and the playoff picture is starting to come a bit more into focus. This weekend sees… ...Read More
- It’s time for a running back to win NFL MVP (11/5/2019) - It’s about time for someone other than a quarterback to claim the MVP, and Christian McCaffrey is making it difficult to ignore him. ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 9 NFL Six Pack (10/30/2019) - More than half of the league has reached the midway point in their 2019 NFL season and we have learned a lot. The Patriots and… ...Read More
- Gridiron Millions Week 9 Expert Picks (10/30/2019) - Here at BetAmerica we believe that NFL players aren't the only ones who deserve to be millionaires. That's why we've launched our brand new Gridiron… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 8 NFL picks: Bills exceeding expectations (10/25/2019) - We'll play against the Eagles and Bears, and also against a sagging Broncos in a difficult road setting. Our last two weeks have been profitable,… ...Read More
- Gridiron Millions Week 8 Expert Picks (10/23/2019) - Here at BetAmerica we believe that NFL players aren't the only ones who deserve to be millionaires. That's why we've launched our brand new Gridiron… ...Read More
- NFL Week 8 Betting Guide (10/21/2019) - It turns out the 49ers are actually pretty good at football. San Francisco improved its record to 6-0 on Sunday by shutting out the Redskins… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 7 NFL picks: Playing against Los Angeles teams (10/17/2019) - We'll side with some home teams this week, and other plays include the improving Jets and surging Arizona. Let’s keep the momentum rolling after a… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 7 NFL Six Pack (10/17/2019) - With the Dolphins, Redskins and Jets playing teams likely to make the playoffs, there are a few large spreads in Week 7, but for the… ...Read More
- Gridiron Millions Week 7 Expert Picks (10/16/2019) - Here at BetAmerica we believe that NFL players aren't the only ones who deserve to be millionaires. That's why we've launched our brand new Gridiron… ...Read More
- Are the Texans, Vikings and 49ers legit Super Bowl contenders? (10/16/2019) - The season is still young, but there have been some big moves in the odds to win the Super Bowl. Now is the time to… ...Read More
- NFL Week 7 Betting Guide (10/14/2019) - It turns out Kirk Cousins isn’t the weakest link after all. The Vikings QB responded to criticism on Sunday by throwing for 333 yards and… ...Read More
- NFL quarter-season awards: MVP, OPOY, DPOY & more (10/9/2019) - Now that every team in the league has played at least four games, we have reached the the quarter point of the NFL season. There… ...Read More
- NFL Sunday Night Football preview: Colts vs. Chiefs (10/5/2019) - The Colts blew a chance to pad their record against the Raiders last week, when they lost 31-24 as 7-point home favorites. They’ll face a… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 5 NFL picks: Chicago a vulnerable favorite (10/4/2019) - Favorites took it on the chin, as underdogs went 11-4 ATS in Week 4. A trio of vulnerable favorites are among our five picks this… ...Read More
- Bettor’s Remorse: The 5 NFL teams that burned me in Week 4 (10/3/2019) - It was the best NFL Sunday so far this season for a lot of sportsbooks, so there was plenty of remorse to go around for… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 3 NFL picks: Fading backup QBs, AFC South (9/20/2019) - Pittsburgh and New Orleans each had offensive questions even before they lost their franchise quarterbacks to injury, and with backups taking over in Week 3,… ...Read More
- The Miami Dolphins and the 5 worst teams in NFL history (9/18/2019) - The Miami Dolphins made the wrong kind of history on Sunday afternoon when they became the first team since the 1973 New Orleans Saints to… ...Read More