NFL Championships: 1958, 1959, 1968
2018 Indianapolis Colts Game Schedule
|Week 1||9/9||Cincinnati Bengals||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 2||9/16||at Washington Redskins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 3||9/23||at Philadelphia Eagles||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 4||9/30||Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 5||10/4||at New England Patriots||8:20pm||FOX / NFLN|
|Week 6||10/14||at New York Jets||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 7||10/21||Buffalo Bills||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 8||10/25||at Oakland Raiders||4:05pm||CBS|
|Week 10||11/11||Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 11||11/18||Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 12||11/25||Miami Dolphins||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 13||12/2||at Jacksonville Jaguars||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 14||12/9||at Houston Texans||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 15||12/16||Dallas Cowboys||1:00pm||FOX|
|Week 16||12/23||New York Giants||1:00pm||CBS|
|Week 17||12/30||at Tennessee Titans||1:00pm||CBS|
Indianapolis Colts Team History
There is no way to discuss the history of the Indianapolis Colts without discussing their sordid beginning in Baltimore.
The All America Football Conference began in 1946, and during its second season a team known as the Miami Seahawks relocated to Maryland and became the Baltimore Colts. After three strong seasons, the team joined the newly formed NFL in 1950 but was not financially stable. Disbanded following the 1950 season, the franchise was reassembled in 1953 under the guidance of the city and owner Carroll Rosenbloom.
Under the lead of Johnny Unitas as quarterback the Colts went 9-3 in 1958 and reached the NFL Championship where they beat the New York Football Giants in a contest widely regarded as the greatest game ever played from that era. The Colts would face the Giants a year later, and secure back-to-back championships in 1959. Unitas made his fourth NFL Championship appearance in 1968 where the Colts won Super Bowl III with Don Shula serving as head coach.
In 1970, Rosenbloom would be instrumental in the AFL-NFL merger that created the league we know today. The Colts stood as a powerhouse in the newly formed National Football League, beating the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 in Super Bowl V (1970). They would return to the AFC Championship the following year, but fall short against the Miami Dolphins.
Following the 1971 season, Rosenbloom would trade the franchise to Jim Irsay in exchange for the Los Angeles Rams. Under Irsay, the team fell from grace for over a decade. A glimmer of hope arrived when the team was awarded the first overall pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, providing them a chance to draft John Elway. Unfortunately, even after being selected, Elway refused to play for the team and was traded to the Denver Broncos where he has since become a multiple-Super Bowl winning institution. The Baltimore Colts would finish 7-9 through 1983 during what was inevitably their final season in the city.
Due to a major conflict between Irsay and the city of Baltimore surrounding stadium upgrades (which had also been a source of tension for Rosenbloom), the team relocated and became the Indianapolis Colts in 1984. The team was received extremely well by the city of Indianapolis despite a poor on-field product.
It wouldn’t be until the Peyton Manning era began in 1998 that the Colts really found their traction in NFL competition. The young Tennessee Volunteer quarterback was taken in the first round of the draft and then took the Colts to two Super Bowl victories in 2006 and 2009 before his final year as a Colt in 2011. During this run, Manning’s battles with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots would became known as “The Rivalry of the Decade”. Though real life friends off the field, their on-field battles are the stuff of legend.
Towards the end of his career, Manning would have neck surgery and be held off the field for the entire season before being allowed to sign with the Denver Broncos for the 2012 season. The departure from Indianapolis was amicable as Manning believed he had plenty more to offer, and the team was unsure of whether they could place a competitive team around their franchise player.
As Manning’s departure from the Colts was unfolding, Irsay was able to flip their 2-14 losing season from 2011 to take Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL Draft. Like Manning before him, Luck ushered in a new era as he established himself as one of the best talents in the modern era. The Luck campaign is still underway in Indianapolis following a litany of poor roster decisions, and the quarterback’s own injury problems. Finally returning to the top of their division and in the top level of competition in the NFL, the Colts are looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued disappointing 2017 that saw them go just 4-12 SU and 8-8 ATS with Luck on the sidelines.
Recent Indianapolis Colts News
- NFL Futures: Patriots and Chiefs Still Favorites (5/21/2019) - The NFL regular season will be here before you know it. Check BetAmerica's updated odds on NFL Futures. Super Bowl LIV Odds New England Patriots… ...Read More
- Los Angeles Rams Open As Super Bowl 54 Co-Favorite (2/4/2019) - The blood on Jared Goff's hand isn't even dry, but sports betting is a forward-looking type of hobby so let's wait a minute to digest… ...Read More
- SBLIII – Do NFL Running Backs Matter? (1/30/2019) - Over the past few seasons, a very strange debate has broken out. Do NFL running backs matter in the grand scheme of the game? With… ...Read More
- 2019 NFL Pro Bowl Betting – The Super Bowl has a higher total (1/25/2019) - The NFL has made it a mission to turn the 2019 Pro Bowl betting matchup into something more than just a glorified, meaningless, celebration. They’ve… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s NFL Playoffs Selections and Analysis- Saturday’s Divisional Round (1/11/2019) - After a Wild Card round that was kind to those who backed underdogs, another great slate of playoff games is on tap this weekend in… ...Read More
- Odds to win Super Bowl Llll – Saints Posting As Clear +225 Favorites (1/10/2019) - Three underdogs pulled outright upsets in the Wild Card round. That runs the against the spread record to 10-0 since last year's playoffs. The race… ...Read More
- 2019 AFC Divisional Playoff Betting- Indianapolis Colts vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1/10/2019) - The Indianapolis Colts look to continue their winning ways after topping the Houston Texans 21-7 in opening round playoff action last week. The Colts have… ...Read More
- Colts-Texans Clash For Third Time in 2019 Wild Card Betting (1/4/2019) - The Colts had their play-in playoff game last week and beat the Titans to secure their 2019 Wild Card betting match-up with the Texans. Indianapolis… ...Read More
- Scully’s 2019 NFL Wild Card Free Picks – Playoffs Wildcard Round (1/4/2019) - After finishing the regular season at an even 40-40-3 ATS (50%), our very own James Scully has survived to tell the tale. He breaks down… ...Read More
- Week 17 Sunday Night Football Betting – Colts vs. Titans (12/30/2018) - The Week 17 Sunday Night Football betting game between the Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans is so massive that NBC made it a part of their… ...Read More
- NFL Week 16 Free Picks – A Truly Difficult Sunday of Handicapping (12/21/2018) - Nick Foles took Carson Wentz’s place under center for the Philadelphia Eagles and promptly led the defending champs to a big upset win over the… ...Read More
- Indianapolis Colts Surging Down the Stretch in AFC South PlayoffPush (12/15/2018) - Heading into last week’s NFL action, the Indianapolis Colts were 6-6 and given a 10% chance of making the playoffs. But following their road win… ...Read More
- NFL Week 15 Free Picks – Sunday’s Best Bets! (12/15/2018) - Every matchup I'm about to break down for my NFL Week 15 free picks means something. Soon, front offices around the league will start looking… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 15 NFL 4-Pack (12/14/2018) - A challenging weekend of games in the NFL follows a thriller between the Chargers and Chiefs on Thursday night. Here is my Week 15 NFL… ...Read More
- NFL Week 14 Free Picks – Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans (12/8/2018) - Big game in the AFC South, as Houston goes for their 10th straight win and continues their push towards a top-2 seed for the AFC… ...Read More
- NFL Week 14 Free Picks – Full Sunday Gauntlet Run! (12/8/2018) - Trying to make sense of my NFL Week 14 free picks took some time! There’s a lot going on this Sunday starting with the Kansas… ...Read More
- Scott Shapiro’s Week 14 NFL 4-Pack (12/7/2018) - After a one-sided Thursday night game dominated by Derrick Henry and the Titans to start off a week full of divisional battles, a plethora of… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 14 NFL Free Picks (12/6/2018) - After a strong 3-2 ATS run last weekend during a very turbulent Sunday, James Scully returns once again with his Week 14 NFL Free Picks!… ...Read More
- NFL Power Rankings Week 13 (12/4/2018) - NFL Power Rankings Week 13 1. Los Angeles Rams (11-1 SU and 5-5-2 ATS) Todd Gurley pulling the "I'll just score this touchdown untouched in a… ...Read More
- NFL Week 13 Free Picks – Where’s The Value on Sunday? (11/30/2018) - While Sunday afternoon’s early slate of games doesn't provide a true marquee matchup, there’s plenty for NFL fans to like. The Bears head to the… ...Read More
- Week 12 NFL Power Rankings (11/27/2018) - NFL Power Rankings Week 12 1. New Orleans Saints (10-1 SU and 9-2 ATS) There just isn't much to write about when it comes to New… ...Read More
- Week 12 NFL Late Games – Is Denver A Worthy Play? (11/25/2018) - All three favorites won and covered on Thanksgiving Day, and three more ugly underdogs will be difficult to bet during the Week 12 NFL late… ...Read More
- Full Rundown of the Best NFL Week 12 Picks (11/23/2018) - The hunt for a playoff spot continues across the league as the Wild Card spots remain up for grabs. The Baltimore Ravens have a tenuous… ...Read More
- Scully’s Week 12 NFL Free Picks (11/21/2018) - James Scully took it on the chin last weekend, and has dropped to 23-28-4 ATS on the year but is ready to roll up his… ...Read More
- NFL Power Rankings Week 11 (11/20/2018) - NFL Power Rankings Week 11 1. New Orleans Saints (9-1 SU and 8-2 ATS) The way the season's gone lately, it's like the Week 1 loss… ...Read More