| NHL Betting |
National Hockey League (NHL)
The NHL was founded in 1917 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world. Since the first round of expansion in 1967, the league has grown from the Original Six teams to 31 teams – 24 in the United States and 7 in Canada. Here’s a brief history of expansion.
- 1942 – Following the demise of the Brooklyn Americans, the NHL’s Original Six era begins. The Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs make up the League for the next 25 seasons.
- 1967 – The NHL adds six teams, the largest expansion in professional sports history. The LA Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, St. Louis Blues and California Seals join the NHL.
- 1970 – The NHL expands to 14 teams with the Buffalo Sabres and Vancouver Canucks.
- 1972 – Two more teams added as the New York metropolitan gets a second team with the NY Islanders and the first team in the South is added with the Atlanta Flames, who would relocate to Calgary in 1980.
- 1974 – Two more teams added including the Washington Capitals, who would win their first Stanley Cup in 2018.
- 1979 – The NHL takes four teams from the World Hockey Association including three from Canada, Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets and brings the NHL to 21 teams.
- 1991 – A new era of NHL expansion began with the addition of the San Jose Sharks.
- 1992 – Two more teams are added with the Ottawa Senators and the first team in Florida, Tampa Bay Lightning.
- 1993 – the 25th and 26th teams are added with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and Florida Panthers (in Miami).
- 1998 – The Nashville Predators are added to bring the teams to 27.
- 1999 – Atlanta gets a team again with the Thrashers, who relocate again in 2011 to become the second iteration of the Winnipeg Jets.
- 2000 – Seven years after the North Stars departed for Dallas, Minnesota gets a team and returns to St. Paul as the Wild. The Columbus Blue Jackets are also added.
- 2016 – The Las Vegas Golden Knights are added and begin play a year later as the league’s 31st team. The Golden Knights are the first major professional sports team in Las Vegas.
The NHL headquarters have been in New York City since 1989 when the head office moved there from Montreal. A labor-management dispute led to the cancellation of the entire 2004-2005 season. A new collective agreement including a salary cap was implemented the following prior to the 2005-2006 season.
The league currently consists of 31 teams in two conference and four divisions. Following the leagues regular season, eight teams from each conference qualify for the playoffs. The top three teams in each division plus two wild cards with the best remaining records compete for conference title. The final two teams play for the league’s championship and coveted trophy, the Stanley Cup.
The leagues official website is http://www.NHL.com.
BETTING ON NHL HOCKEY
Betting on NHL hockey includes moneyline, spread and total wagers. You can also employ various exotics such as parlays when betting on the NHL. The spread in hockey is known as the “puck line”. Futures and prop betting is also available for the NHL.
There are various leagues throughout the world which BetAmerica offers odds on. These include, but are not limited to, the leagues listed below. Odds for the World Cup and Winter Olympics are available when appropriate.
- Europe – Champions League Hockey
- Russia – KHL
- Sweden – Swedish Hockey League and Swedish Hockey Alfedsken
- World Cup
- Winter Olympics
Recent NHL News
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second Round Begins Thursday (4/25/2019)- The second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs kicks off Thursday, when the Columbus Blue Jackets battle the Boston Bruins and the Dallas Stars take… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Hurricanes and Capitals Meet in Game 7 (4/24/2019)- After two thrilling Game 7 NHL matchups Tuesday, the Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals will square off for a third Wednesday. Carolina Hurricanes (+125) at… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday NHL Preview (4/23/2019)- A couple Game 7s are on the docket Tuesday, when the Toronto Maple Leafs battle the Boston Bruins and the Vegas Golden Knights take on… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Monday NHL Preview (4/22/2019)- In a pair of Game 6 matchups Monday, the defending champion Washington Capitals battle the Carolina Hurricanes on the road, while the Dallas Stars host… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Friday Night NHL Preview (4/19/2019)- The Maple Leafs hope to shake the Drake curse in Boston, while the Bruins try to tighten up their performance and will look to take… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Thursday NHL Matchups (4/18/2019)- The Stanley Cup Playoffs provide three crucial matchups Thursday night. Defending champion Washington will try to regroup after a loss to Carolina in Game 3,… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Wednesday Night NHL Preview (4/17/2019)- The Stanley Cup Playoffs continue Wednesday, as Boston battles Toronto, Nashville takes on Dallas, and the Flames hit enemy ice against the Avalanche. (3) Boston… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 NHL Action (4/16/2019)- It didn’t take long for the NHL playoff picture to change drastically. Heading into the postseason, Tampa Bay was a 2-1 favorite to win the… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday Night NHL Preview (4/15/2019)- The Columbus Blue Jackets are on the cusp of a surprise sweep, as the wild-card team takes on preseason Stanley Cup favorite Tampa Bay in… ...Read More
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Monday NHL Matchups (4/15/2019)- The Stanley Cup playoffs roll along with four fantastic matchups Monday. Boston resumes its first-round series with Toronto, while Nashville and Dallas throw down in… ...Read More
- NHL Playoff Weekend Match-Up Picks & Brief Analysis (4/13/2019)- Find Quick Analysis on Key Match-ups for the NHL Playoffs Boston Bruins at Toronto Maple Leafs, TD Garden Arena, Sunday 8pm EST The Toronto Maple… ...Read More
- 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First-Round Preview (4/10/2019)- The first round of the NHL's 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs starts Wednesday. Check out BetAmerica odds for first-round series winners, along with analysis and free… ...Read More
- A Look at Each Team in the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs (4/8/2019)- NHL Playoff Preview The quest for Lord Stanley’s hardware begins this week. Check out a quick profile of each team in the 2019 NHL Stanley… ...Read More
- NHL Saturday Free Picks (4/5/2019)- Games to Watch Saturday in the NHL Lightning-Bruins highlights another great Saturday of NHL action! In addition to that matchup, Toronto heads to Montreal, while… ...Read More
- NHL Tuesday Free Picks (4/2/2019)- Tuesday NHL Games to Watch The ice is heating up in NHL. Tuesday’s slate of games has Boston battling Columbus on the road, but the… ...Read More
- NHL Saturday Free Picks (3/29/2019)- NHL Games to Watch on Saturday Four NHL games on Saturday should get hockey handicappers excited: Canadiens-Jets, Capitals-Lightning, Blue Jackets-Predators, and Knights-Sharks. All four are… ...Read More
- NHL Tuesday Free Picks (3/26/2019)- Islanders-Blue Jackets headline a great night of NHL action. It’s all about playoff positioning for NYI, who is a point behind Washington and tied with… ...Read More
- NHL Free Picks: Wednesday, March 20 (3/20/2019)- NHL Wednesday Free Picks Led by Tampa Bay at Washington, the NHL’s Wednesday night lineup is short on quantity but high on quality. Check out… ...Read More
- Saturday NHL Free Picks – Three Strong Favorites Worth Playing (3/16/2019)- A dry run playoff series between the Caps and Lightning, the Bruins need to snap out of it and Blues are singing their own team… ...Read More
- NHL Thursday Free Picks – Flyers Looking To Steal One From Washington (3/14/2019)- Montreal-NYI and Boston-Winnipeg highlight a great Thursday night of NHL action. Other games on March 14 include Dallas taking on Minnesota and Washington battling Philadelphia… ...Read More
- Caps-Penguins Highlights Tuesday Slate in NHL Free Picks (3/12/2019)- Washington-Pittsburgh and Boston-Columbus highlight a great Tuesday night in the NHL on March 12. In addition to those battles, San Jose takes on Winnipeg on… ...Read More
- NHL Weekend Betting – Can Islanders Hold Off Flyers? (3/8/2019)- Highlighted by Blues-Sharks, Saturday’s NHL lineup provides plenty of NHL handicapping opportunities. Check out odds as well analysis for the top matchups on Saturday, March… ...Read More
- NHL Free Picks – Montreal Needs Strong Effort Against San Jose (3/7/2019)- We are winding down to the playoffs with some pivotal matchups tonight in NHL betting! After a wild Wednesday night that saw the Canucks up… ...Read More
- NHL Wednesday Free Picks – Can Flames Stay Hot Against Vegas Knights? (3/6/2019)- The NHL has stacked up four juicy matchups tonight! The top game has Western Conference powers Calgary and Vegas throwing down in Sin City. Check… ...Read More
- NHL Weekend Free Picks (3/1/2019)- Pittsburgh battles Montreal and Dallas takes on the St. Louis Blues in two of the biggest matchups in NHL on Saturday. Check out analysis and… ...Read More
Click here to read all posts on the NHL