2016 Kentucky Derby Top 5
The Road to the Kentucky Derby took a nice step forward yesterday (Saturday, Jan 30), when Moyhamen proved himself once again to be the top prospect for the roses while Flexibility bombed terribly. For Moyhamen, it was the same stunning performance that we're used to seeing from the son of Tapit.
1. MohaymenI tried to stay off the bandwagon as long as I could. But after Mohaymen's performance in the Holy Bull, it's painfully clear to me, painful because I'm not a big chalk fan when it comes to the Kentucky Derby, that the son of Tapit could very well be good enough to not only win the Derby but possibly pull an American Pharoah in 2016. after 37 years, we could have a Seattle Slew-Affirmed back to back repeat like we had in 1977 and 1978. He may not be as talented as American Pharoah and his action implies that he will burn more energy in races, but he looks like a push button horse that loves to run. That's gong to make him tough on the Triple Crown Trail.
2. AiroforceAiroforce is probable for the Sam F. Davis in mid-February. It looks like trainer Mark Casse is going to take the son of Colonel John through Florida. He'll either go thrugh the Tampa Ba Derby or through the Florida Derby. Either way, Casse should have him ready come the Kentucky Derby. This guy got mud in his face and still won the Kentucky Jockey Club easily in November.
3. NyquistI wanted to keep the 2015 Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner off the list as well. It's difficult not to give him his due. This is especially true after Flexibility bombed and finished 4th in the Grade 3 Wither's Stakes. Nyquist went wide around both turns in the BC Juvenile and still won. Nyquist is scheduled to begin his road to the Derby in the Grade 2 San Vicente on Feb. 15.
4. Sunny RidgeWho knows if this son of Holy Bull is going to appreciate 1 1/4 miles. It certainly looks like he will based on how he won the Withers Stakes this Saturday. Trainer Jason Servis conditioned Smarty Jones to a Derby and Preakness win in 2004. He had trouble passing Vorticity but that's because they ran the half went in :49. Sunny Ridge runs a bit like his dad with his head down. He's built like his dad as well. The length could help him on the Road to the Derby.
5. Mor SpiritThe Bob Baffert trainee is scheduled to run in the Grade 3 Bob and Beverly Lewis. Mor Spirit won the Grade 1 Los Alamitos Futurity in his last. It's obvious that he needs to improve in order to move up in the rankings. It doesn't need to be said that Baffert knows how to win the Kentucky Derby. One knock is that Towes On, Ice, whom Mor Spirit beat in the Los Al Futurity, finished 6th in the Smarty Jones as an odds on favorite in his last.
Make sure to log onto BetAmerica and play the BetAmerica Way! BetAmerica offers the best in daily horse racing contests and pari-mutuel betting - all from the same account - and nobody else can offer you that!