How to Bet on the Kentucky Derby:Below are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about betting on the Run for the Roses. If you are familiar with basic betting types and have questions specifically about how to use the BetAmerica platform, click here.
What do Odds Mean?The pari-mutuel odds for the Kentucky Derby you see displayed on the toteboard at the track or online show the probability of a horse's chances of winning. The potential payoff total is based on a $2 win stake including the original bet amount.
Showing 1 to 10 of 12 entries
Showing 1 to 10 of 12 entries
What are Place and Show Bets?
- A Place bet means that you chose one horse and your horse can come in first or second to claim your winnings.
- A Show bet means that you chose one horse and your horse can come in first, second, or third to claim your winnings.
In the 2017 Kentucky Derby, those who wagered $2 on Always Dreaming won the following amounts for win, place, or show bet types:
- $11.40 for Win bet ($2 bet plus $9.40 winnings)
- $7.20 for Place bet ($2 bet plus $5.20 winnings)
- $5.80 for Show bet ($2 bet plus $3.80 winnings)
What are Exacta, Trifecta, and Superfecta Bets?All of the wagers below are known as “exotics.” Each deals with predicting the runners in an order. For an exacta bet you need to pick the first two finishers in order of finish, a trifecta bet requires the first three finishers in order, and a superfecta bet needs the top four finishers, picked in order.
- A straight exacta would look like this: 8,1. That is saying the 8 horse will run first (win) and the 1 horse will run second (place).
- A straight trifecta: 8,1,4. Same as the exacta, but adding the 4 horse to run third (show).
- A straight superfecta: 8,1,4,13. Same as the trifecta, but adding the 13 to run fourth. There is no name or wager for the fourth-place runner.
2017 Kentucky Derby winner Always Dreaming defeated Lookin At Lee, Battle of Midway, and Classic Empire, who finished in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively. Bettors who correctly predicted some or all of that order of finish won the following amounts on various exotic bet types (assuming $2 wagers):
- $336.20 for Exacta bet showing "5,1" ($2 bet plus $334.20 in winnings)
- $16,594.40 for Trifecta bet showing "5,1,11" ($2 bet plus $16,592.40 winnings)
- $151.949.00 for Superfecta bet showing "5,1,11,14" ($2 bet plus $151.947.00 winnings)
What Does a "Box" Bet Mean?
- A boxed bet pertains to exactas, trifectas, and superfectas. When you box your bet, your selections can finish in any conceivable order.
**Note: By boxing a bet, your bet price will increase in price due to betting the different combinations rather than just one.
How Do I Get my Deposit Bonus?Our signup bonus works across all BetAmerica products and is a 100% match on your first deposit up to $300.
Every time you place a bet on horses or greyhounds or enter a BetAmerica Sports contest, we release 10% of the value of your bet or entry into your cash balance.
Your updated Pending Bonus balance will appear beneath your wagering balance in the header at BetAmerica.com.
This is the only signup bonus in the US which you can use across racing and fantasy sports.
How Do I Contact Customer Service?The quickest way to receive customer support is by using our live chat service which can be found in the sidebar of this page or on many pages at BetAmerica.com.
You can also email us: email@example.com or call 866-607-7929.
We do answer questions via Facebook message and Twitter, but all account-related customer issues can only be handled by Player Services.