Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014
Phone: (858) 755-1141
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
July – September
2018 Del Mar Betting Guide
Notable Del Mar Live Racing Events
- G1 Bing Crosby Stakes – 3-year-olds & up going 6 furlongs on dirt
- G1 Del Mar Debutante Stakes – 2-year-old fillies going 7 furlongs on dirt
- G1 Pacific Classic – 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/4 mi.
- G1 Del Mar Oaks – 3-year-old fillies going 1-1/8 mi. on turf
- G1 Del Mar Futurity – 2-year-olds going 7 furlongs on dirt
- G1 Clement L. Hirsch – 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/16 mi.
Recent Del Mar Race Track News
- BARN Podcast 12/28/18 (12/27/2018) - We continue our look back at the year in racing 2018, including discussing Saratoga and Del Mar, Arlington Million, Breeders' Cup, and much more!
- BARN Podcast 12/3/18 (12/2/2018) - We're live on the road from Del Mar in San Diego and we'll recap all the stakes action from not only Del Mar, but the ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 11/30/18 (11/29/2018) - We're back LIVE, well live on tape, but we're back! Previewing all the weekend stakes action from Aqueduct and Del Mar as well as opening ...Read More
- Why I’m Keying the Favorites in the Hollywood Derby (11/29/2018) - With relatively few opportunities remaining for horses to compete against Grade 1 company before the end of 2018, fourteen three-year-olds have turned out to contest ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 11/26/18 (11/25/2018) - We look back at a busy weekend including the Clark Handicap and Stars of Tomorrow cards at Churchill Downs, multiple stakes from Aqueduct, as well ...Read More
History of Del Mar Horse Races
In 1933, a search for a permanent location for the San Diego County Fair began and a 184 acre site in the San Dieguito Valley was suggested.
Opened with a crowd of 50,000 on October 8, 1936, the Del Mar Fair was full of exhibits, concerts, and other entertainment, but the crown jewel was the mile-long oval racetrack. With the backing of celebrities such as Bing Crosby, Pat O’Brien, and Lucy and Desi Arnaz, the Del Mar Turf Club (as it had become known) became the hottest ticket of the summer season on the west coast. The race track even did its part in the World War II effort, closing for horse races and letting the grandstand be used as a bomber tail assembly production facility. And in 2014, Del Mar held its first Bing Crosby racing season in November. Today the Del Mar Race Track events are a popular place to spot athletes such as Drew Brees, the San Diego Chargers, and Floyd Mayweather.
About Del Mar Race Track Surface
- The Del Mar race track has a one-mile oval with chutes for 7/8 and 1 1/4 mile races. In 2007, Del Mar installed a synthetic racetrack surface but has switched back to a dirt surface for the 2015 season.
- The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club also is home to a seven-eighths mile oval with a diagonal straightaway chute for 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 mile races on the interior turf race course, comprised of a mixture of Common Bermuda and Hybrid Bermuda grass.
- In 2017 Del Mar hosted the Breeders’ Cup for the first time. Many believe this decision was reliant on moving back to the traditional dirt racing surface.
What to Do at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
Along with races, Del Mar hosts an extremely popular summer concert series that has featured popular acts like Jurassic 5, Counting Crows, and Weezer. A variety of restaurants and other dining options are also available in addition to the live racing events.