Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino
2235 Creswell Lane Extension
Opelousas, LA 70570
Phone: (302) 994-2521
Evangeline Downs Website
April – August
October – December
Notable Evangeline Downs Racing Events
- Evangeline Downs Turf Sprint – 3-year-olds & up going 5f on turf
- Evangeline Downs Mile – 3-year-olds going & up going 1 mi.
- Louisiana Legends – 8 stakes for LA-breds including the Classic, Distaff, and Sprint
- John Henry – 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/16 mi. on turf
History of Racing at Evangeline Downs
Though Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino was the first “racino” to be built in America, the racetrack’s history began at another site in 1982 but closed in 1986. Racing resumed in 1987 and video poker was added in 1992. The current location was built in 2003 and horse racing was back running in 2005. Evangeline’s history is rich: the great John Henry won the first of 30 stakes in his 83-race career over the Louisiana oval, and it has been the launching pad for some of the most legendary jockeys in live racing, like Calvin Borel, Eddie Delahoussaye, Kent Desormeaux, Mark Guidry, Randy Romero, and Shane Sellers.
The Racetrack at Evangeline Downs
- The track accommodates 1,000 horses on its 750 acre property.
- There is a pond in the infield (but no alligators).
- The main track is a 1 mi. oval.
- The turf track is 7/8 mile with a 1-1/18 mi. chute.
The Amenities at Evangeline Downs
Evangeline Downs features a great hotel and casino along with world-class horse racing. Patrons can grab a bite to eat at Blackberry’s or the Cajun Buffet, or grab a drink at Mojo’s or Zydeco’s. Either way, Evangeline Downs has something for everyone!