Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino
1 Prairie Meadows Drive
Altoona, IA 50009
Phone: (800) 325-9015
March – June
August – December
Notable Prairie Meadows Racing Events
- G3 Iowa Derby (TB) | 3-year-olds going 1-1/16 mi.
- G3 Iowa Oaks (TB) | 3-year-old fillies going 1-1/16 mi.
- G3 Prairie Meadows Cornhusker Handicap (TB) | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/8 mi.
- Prairie Meadows Handicap (TB) | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/16 mi.
- G1 Challenge Championship (QH) | 3-year-olds & up going 440 yards
- G1 Distaff Challenge Championship (QH) | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 400 yards
- G1 Distance Challenge Championship (QH) | 3-year-olds & up going 870 yards
- G3 Derby Challenge Championship (QH) | 3-year-olds going 400 yards
History of Prairie Meadows Racetrack
Built in 1984 on 243 acres near the Adventureland Amusement Park in eastern Polk County, Prairie Meadows hosts some of the midwest’s best Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing action, highlighted by the Iowa Festival of Racing. Besides horse racing, other animals like ostriches have graced the famed track in Iowa. Slot machines were introduced to the facility in 2005 and the property now includes a hotel and state-of-the-art amenities.
Prairie Meadows Racetrack Info
Prairie Meadows features a 1 mile dirt track with a chute for quarter horses
Things To Do At Prairie Meadows
Prairie Meadows isn’t just about horse racing, there is plenty to do and see! The race track offers several great options for dining, like AJ’s Steakhouse and Café at the Meadows. The track also hosts awesome concerts where performers like BB King, Smokey Robinson, and ZZ Top have played.