Saratoga Race Course
267 Union Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: (518) 584-6200
July – September
2018 Saratoga Betting Guide
Notable Saratoga Live Racing Events
- G1 Whitney | 3-year-olds going 1-1/8 mi.
- G1 Travers | 3-year-olds going 1-1/4 mi.
- G1 Alabama | 3-year-old fillies going 1-1/4 mi.
- G1 Woodward | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/8 mi.
Recent Saratoga Racing News
- BARN Podcast 8/23/19 (8/22/2019) - We look ahead to weekend action including Friday stakes at Saratoga, the Pat O'Brien from Del Mar, and the Play The King from Woodbine. The… ...Read More
- Shancelot’s speed stands out in H. Allen Jerkens Stakes (8/22/2019) - H. Allen Jerkens conditioned some fast horses during his Hall of Fame career, but I’m not sure any displayed as much raw speed as #1… ...Read More
- Why I’m betting Come Dancing in the Ballerina Stakes (8/22/2019) - Several accomplished female sprinters will square off in Saturday’s $500,000 Ballerina Stakes (G1) at Saratoga, but they’re all running for second behind the lightly raced… ...Read More
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: Travers Day at Saratoga with Travis Stone (8/22/2019) - On this week's episode of the Who Do Ya Like Podcast over the BetAmerica Radio Network, Scott Shapiro welcomes in the voice of Churchill Downs,… ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 8/20/19 (8/19/2019) - We start to look ahead to Travers Weekend at Saratoga as we welcome in Anthony Stabile to talk about the Saratoga meet, the Travers field,… ...Read More
History of Saratoga Horse Racing
In 1863, John “Old Smoke” Morrissey founded a four-day race meet in a town known for its mineral baths (Saratoga Springs) that drew thousands of locals and tourists. Soon after, Morrissey founded the Saratoga Association alongside fellow New Yorkers William Travers, John R. Hunter, and Leonard Jerome. The men sought to build a permanent grandstand on land that would quickly – and to this day – be known as Saratoga Race Course. It wasn’t until 94 years later that Governor Averill Harriman guaranteed the summer season exclusively to the upstate race track. The usual 75,000 population of Saratoga Springs triples over the six weeks, as people from all over the world come for the top class horse racing, fantastic food, and social scene. Just as Del Mar is on the west coast, Saratoga Race Course is the mecca for summer racing on the east coast: the nation’s best trainers and horses ship in and compete in what is probably the strongest stakes schedule of any race track in America.
Race Track Specifications at Saratoga
- Main Track features 4 1/4” – 4 ¾” Sandy Loam Cushion on top of 10” base comprised of clay, silt and sand.
- Turf Courses feature Kentucky Bluegrass on top of an 8” growing medium of sandy topsoil
Amenities at Saratoga Race Track
At Saratoga, you have several awesome dining options. The most popular choice remains The Turf Terrace, where you can enjoy a great meal while watching pulse-pounding live racing. You can also enjoy weekly events at the race track, including wine and cheese tastings and fashion events.
Quirks of Saratoga
Did you know that there is a lake in the middle of the race track at Saratoga? There is actually a canoe in the lake that is painted each year with the colors of the Travers Stakes winner.