Saratoga Race Course
267 Union Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: (518) 584-6200
July – September
2018 Saratoga Betting Guide
Notable Saratoga Live Racing Events
- G1 Whitney | 3-year-olds going 1-1/8 mi.
- G1 Travers | 3-year-olds going 1-1/4 mi.
- G1 Alabama | 3-year-old fillies going 1-1/4 mi.
- G1 Woodward | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/8 mi.
Recent Saratoga Racing News
- BARN Podcast 12/28/18 (12/27/2018) - We continue our look back at the year in racing 2018, including discussing Saratoga and Del Mar, Arlington Million, Breeders' Cup, and much more!
- Should You Bet Horses Returning on Short Rest? (10/22/2018) - Although there has been a tendency in recent years for trainers to give their horses more and more time between races, there are some trainers ...Read More
- Kentucky Derby Contender Profile: Cairo Cat (9/18/2018) - Kentucky Derby dreams can begin anywhere, anytime. If not for a rainy day at Saratoga, it’s very possible that Cairo Cat would never have emerged ...Read More
- Game Winner vs. Mind Control: Who’s More Likely to Win the Kentucky Derby? (9/7/2018) - On Labor Day, the summer race meets at Del Mar and Saratoga came to a climax with the running of the Del Mar Futurity (gr. ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 9/5/18 (9/4/2018) - We're thrilled to welcome in BetAmerica and Twinspires' own Scott Shapiro to discuss some things we learned this summer between Del Mar and Saratoga.
History of Saratoga Horse Racing
In 1863, John “Old Smoke” Morrissey founded a four-day race meet in a town known for its mineral baths (Saratoga Springs) that drew thousands of locals and tourists. Soon after, Morrissey founded the Saratoga Association alongside fellow New Yorkers William Travers, John R. Hunter, and Leonard Jerome. The men sought to build a permanent grandstand on land that would quickly – and to this day – be known as Saratoga Race Course. It wasn’t until 94 years later that Governor Averill Harriman guaranteed the summer season exclusively to the upstate race track. The usual 75,000 population of Saratoga Springs triples over the six weeks, as people from all over the world come for the top class horse racing, fantastic food, and social scene. Just as Del Mar is on the west coast, Saratoga Race Course is the mecca for summer racing on the east coast: the nation’s best trainers and horses ship in and compete in what is probably the strongest stakes schedule of any race track in America.
Race Track Specifications at Saratoga
- Main Track features 4 1/4” – 4 ¾” Sandy Loam Cushion on top of 10” base comprised of clay, silt and sand.
- Turf Courses feature Kentucky Bluegrass on top of an 8” growing medium of sandy topsoil
Amenities at Saratoga Race Track
At Saratoga, you have several awesome dining options. The most popular choice remains The Turf Terrace, where you can enjoy a great meal while watching pulse-pounding live racing. You can also enjoy weekly events at the race track, including wine and cheese tastings and fashion events.
Quirks of Saratoga
Did you know that there is a lake in the middle of the race track at Saratoga? There is actually a canoe in the lake that is painted each year with the colors of the Travers Stakes winner.