555 Rexdale Boulevard
Toronto, ON M9W 5L2
Phone: (416) 675-7223
April – December
Notable Woodbine Live Racing Events
- Queen’s Plate | 3-year-old CAN-breds going 1-1/4 mi. on Polytrack
- G1 Woodbine Mile | 3-year-olds & up going 1 mi. on turf
- G1 Canadian International | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/2 mi. on turf
- G1 E.P. Taylor | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/4 mi. on turf
Recent Woodbine News
- Ziyad, Desert Encounter stand out in Canadian International (10/11/2019) - Trainer David Simcock has made a habit of shipping horses from Europe to snatch victories in major North American stakes races, and on Saturday he’ll… ...Read More
- Spot plays for Natalma Stakes, Summer Stakes at Woodbine (9/13/2019) - A big weekend of Breeders’ Cup prep races at Woodbine continues Sunday, with the $250,000 Summer Stakes (G1) and the $250,000 Natalma Stakes (G1). These… ...Read More
- Graded stakes spot plays for Woodbine Mile Day (9/13/2019) - Saturday, September 14 marks one of the biggest days of the year at Woodbine. ...Read More
- Avie’s Flatter can take the spotlight in Breeders’ Stakes (8/16/2019) - The third time might be the charm for #7 Avie’s Flatter in the $400,000 Breeders’ Stakes at Woodbine, the final leg of the Canadian Triple… ...Read More
- BARN Podcast 7/3/19 (7/2/2019) - It's Wednesday and we look ahead to some of the races at Belmont and Woodbine happening on this Wednesday afternoon. Then we head up to… ...Read More
History of Woodbine Horse Racing
Woodbine has been the name of a race track in Toronto since 1874, though the current location of the racecourse is nowhere near where the original was. The name was transferred to the new track in 1956 and is a combined Thoroughbred and Standardbred race track, which is mostly a result of the closure of Greenwood Raceway and Greenwood Race Track. In 2010 during her tour of Canada, Queen Elizabeth II was on-site for the track’s signature event – the Queen’s Plate – and presented the trophy to the winning horse and jockey.
Woodbine Racetrack: Track Specifications
- The main race track is a 1 mile oval with 2f and 7f chutes and is 85 feet wide with 6% banking on the turns, and a 975 foot long stretch. The racing surface is 7″ of Polytrack (silica sand, rubber, fiber, and wax) over 3″ of Macadam, and 3′ of stone over a vertical drainage system.
- The E.P. Taylor turf race course sits outside the main track and is 1-1/2 miles with a 1-1/8 mi. chute. The homestretch is 100 feet wide, the backstretch 120 feet wide, and the turns have 4% banking. The stretch is 1,440 feet and the surface is comprised of Kentucky bluegrass over 12″ sandy growing medium, a 4″ drainage layer and a clay base.
- The turf race course raises 3 feet from the start of the first turn to the start of the backstretch, then falls 6 inches down the backstretch, and a further 2 feet 6 inches through the far turn.
Amenities at Woodbine Racetrack
Woodbine Racetrack has some of the best accommodations around. The track has over 2,500 slot machines on site, including virtual table games like Blackjack, Roulette, and Baccarat. Woodbine provides ample opportunity to get a great meal whether you are dining on the slot floor or watching live racing.