555 Rexdale Boulevard Toronto, ON M9W 5L2 Phone: (416) 675-7223 Website: woodbineentertainment.com
Racing Season: April - December
Notable Woodbine Live Racing Events
- Queen's Plate | 3-year-old CAN-breds going 1-1/4 mi. on Polytrack
- G1 Woodbine Mile | 3-year-olds & up going 1 mi. on turf
- G1 Canadian International | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/2 mi. on turf
- G1 E.P. Taylor | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/4 mi. on turf
Recent Woodbine News
History of Woodbine Horse RacingWoodbine has been the name of a race track in Toronto since 1874, though the current location of the racecourse is nowhere near where the original was. The name was transferred to the new track in 1956 and is a combined Thoroughbred and Standardbred race track, which is mostly a result of the closure of Greenwood Raceway and Greenwood Race Track. In 2010 during her tour of Canada, Queen Elizabeth II was on-site for the track's signature event - the Queen's Plate - and presented the trophy to the winning horse and jockey.
Woodbine Racetrack: Track Specifications
- The main race track is a 1 mile oval with 2f and 7f chutes and is 85 feet wide with 6% banking on the turns, and a 975 foot long stretch. The racing surface is 7" of Polytrack (silica sand, rubber, fiber, and wax) over 3" of Macadam, and 3' of stone over a vertical drainage system.
- The E.P. Taylor turf race course sits outside the main track and is 1-1/2 miles with a 1-1/8 mi. chute. The homestretch is 100 feet wide, the backstretch 120 feet wide, and the turns have 4% banking. The stretch is 1,440 feet and the surface is comprised of Kentucky bluegrass over 12" sandy growing medium, a 4" drainage layer and a clay base.
- The turf race course raises 3 feet from the start of the first turn to the start of the backstretch, then falls 6 inches down the backstretch, and a further 2 feet 6 inches through the far turn.