555 Rexdale Boulevard
Toronto, ON M9W 5L2
Phone: (416) 675-7223
April – December
Notable Woodbine Live Racing Events
- Queen’s Plate | 3-year-old CAN-breds going 1-1/4 mi. on Polytrack
- G1 Woodbine Mile | 3-year-olds & up going 1 mi. on turf
- G1 Canadian International | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/2 mi. on turf
- G1 E.P. Taylor | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/4 mi. on turf
Recent Woodbine News
- BARN Podcast 3/14/19 (3/13/2019) - It's Horseplayer Thursday and we're talking harness with Garnet Barnsdale joining us. We discuss some harness handicapping theories, the WEG circuit, and more! Jason opens ...Read More
- How to Bet the Valedictory Stakes (12/6/2018) - Want to take on a difficult handicapping challenge this weekend? Then come join me in analyzing Sunday’s $125,000 Valedictory Stakes (gr. III) at Woodbine. The ...Read More
- Bessarabian Stakes Offers Rematch of Ontario Fashion Stakes Rivals (11/23/2018) - If the field for Sunday’s $175,000 Bessarabian Stakes (gr. II) at Woodbine seems a bit familiar, that’s because the seven-furlong all-weather sprint is essentially a ...Read More
- Keying Avie’s Flatter in the Coronation Futurity (11/15/2018) - This is hardly a creative opinion—to the contrary, it’s an opinion that will surely be shared by many—but it’s rather difficult to envision a scenario ...Read More
- Why I’m Betting Moonlit Promise in the Ontario Fashion Stakes (10/26/2018) - Generally speaking, 2018 has been a pretty tough year for #1 Moonlit Promise, who will be among the favorites in Sunday’s $125,000 Ontario Fashion Stakes ...Read More
History of Woodbine Horse Racing
Woodbine has been the name of a race track in Toronto since 1874, though the current location of the racecourse is nowhere near where the original was. The name was transferred to the new track in 1956 and is a combined Thoroughbred and Standardbred race track, which is mostly a result of the closure of Greenwood Raceway and Greenwood Race Track. In 2010 during her tour of Canada, Queen Elizabeth II was on-site for the track’s signature event – the Queen’s Plate – and presented the trophy to the winning horse and jockey.
Woodbine Racetrack: Track Specifications
- The main race track is a 1 mile oval with 2f and 7f chutes and is 85 feet wide with 6% banking on the turns, and a 975 foot long stretch. The racing surface is 7″ of Polytrack (silica sand, rubber, fiber, and wax) over 3″ of Macadam, and 3′ of stone over a vertical drainage system.
- The E.P. Taylor turf race course sits outside the main track and is 1-1/2 miles with a 1-1/8 mi. chute. The homestretch is 100 feet wide, the backstretch 120 feet wide, and the turns have 4% banking. The stretch is 1,440 feet and the surface is comprised of Kentucky bluegrass over 12″ sandy growing medium, a 4″ drainage layer and a clay base.
- The turf race course raises 3 feet from the start of the first turn to the start of the backstretch, then falls 6 inches down the backstretch, and a further 2 feet 6 inches through the far turn.
Amenities at Woodbine Racetrack
Woodbine Racetrack has some of the best accommodations around. The track has over 2,500 slot machines on site, including virtual table games like Blackjack, Roulette, and Baccarat. Woodbine provides ample opportunity to get a great meal whether you are dining on the slot floor or watching live racing.