SOCCER (FOOTBALL, FUTBOL)
Soccer Sports Betting Basics
There is no sport in terms of global reach that generates more action than soccer. This is directly related to the massive popularity that the sport rightfully enjoys. For this reason, oddsmakers pay special attention to creating odds on soccer as a minor slip-up can cost the book significant losses due to the volume of action on major events like the World Cup and Premier League Championships.
Soccer betting employs the three main elements that regular team sports does, but has a slight twist due to the fact that a draw is an actual result. For these reasons, the moneyline is renamed the Three-Way Line, the spread is called the Two-Way Line and the TOTAL remains the same.
How To Bet On Soccer
The primary bet in soccer remains the three-way line which is a bet on the outright winner. The underdog will be presented with higher odds such as +150 ($100 to win $150) while a favorite would see odds such as -150 ($150 to win $100). Because soccer matches can end in a tie, the “draw” is another option on the three-way line and usually has high odds because of how unlikely it is in general.
The second bet in soccer is the goal line, which is the term used for the soccer spread. This indicates the handicap given to a favorite over an underdog. The normal goal line ranges but usually begins at +/- 0.5 and can go all the way up to +/- 2.5. The goal line only applies to the 90 minutes of regular time, so if a game ends in a draw you take the final score at that point. A draw would be a win for an underdog, as the extra points do not count towards the goal line.
The TOTAL functions the same way it does in other sports, and indicates the total number of goals scored in a single game. You can bet on either the OVER or the UNDER depending on the odds.
It is industry standard that golden goals, extra time and penalty kicks (shootouts) do not count towards wagers.
Recent Soccer News
- Women’s World Cup: USA-Chile preview (6/14/2019) - The United States continues play in the Women's World Cup on Sunday, again as a huge favorite against Chile. (USA -20000, Chile +1950, Draw +1125)… ...Read More
- Copa América: Argentina faces group showdown with Colombia (6/14/2019) - Copa América is officially underway, and the second day of action Saturday will have an incredible matchup in Group B, between Lionel Messi and Argentina… ...Read More
- Top six soccer betting markets (6/12/2019) - As you seek out playable options for the numerous soccer matches coming your way this summer, there are several markets ripe with action that could… ...Read More
- Betting soccer 101: props and three-way lines (6/7/2019) - We all want to bet football—it's as American as apple pie. But unfortunately for us, football doesn't start for a few months. So in the… ...Read More
- MLS preview: Seattle Sounders at Montreal Impact (6/4/2019) - Major League Soccer's key matchup this week is a Wednesday meeting between the Montreal Impact and the Seattle Sounders in Montreal. Both teams are seeking… ...Read More
- Liverpool vs. Tottenham: Champions League Final Preview (5/29/2019) - On June 1, the Champions League season will come to an end with an unlikely final in Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid. Atletico’s recently inaugurated… ...Read More
- Soccer: MLS Teams to Watch (5/23/2019) - Major League Soccer's season began in March and is almost at the midway point. Philadelphia Union is leading the table in the Eastern Conference, while… ...Read More
- Champions League Semifinals: Round 2 Preview (5/6/2019) - Last week of Champions League gave us some great football highlights. In London, Ajax continued its rampant campaign and is one step closer to get… ...Read More
- Champions League: Barcelona vs. Liverpool (5/1/2019) - The second Champions League semifinal takes place Wednesday as FC Barcelona hosts Liverpool FC at the Camp Nou. Both teams come in carrying lengthy win… ...Read More
- Champions League Semifinal Preview (4/29/2019) - Who will get the advantage on the first leg? After going through a roller coaster of a quarterfinal, with comebacks and controversial video assistant referee… ...Read More
- Tottenham Seeks First Shot at Champions League Semifinal (4/17/2019) - Tottenham Hotspur is just 90 minutes away from reaching the Champions League semifinal for the first time. The Spurs face the second-favorite to win the… ...Read More
- MLS Game of the Week: Atlanta United FC vs. Philadelphia Union (3/15/2019) - The MLS Game of the Week will take place on Sunday when defending champions Atlanta United FC play host to the Philadelphia Union. Though just… ...Read More
- English Premier League Free Picks – The Weekend’s Best Bets! (3/15/2019) - Another huge weekend of English Premier League free picks awaits! Bet on English Premier League, MLS and all your other favorite soccer leagues from across… ...Read More
- UEFA Champions League – Is Juventus Ready to Step Up Against Atletico? (3/11/2019) - Champions League Round of 16 continues on Tuesday and Wednesday with a couple of major matchups. On Tuesday, Juventus has no choice but to go… ...Read More
- English Premier League Betting – Can Manchester United Maintain Sudden Momentum? (3/8/2019) - A powder-keg Matchup in London could solidify the top 4, but not before Chelsea has a go at the Wolves. Tottenham is looking to climb… ...Read More
- UEFA Champions League – Round of 16 Free Picks! (3/5/2019) - Get ready for four great Champions League matches this week! On Tuesday, Dortmund battles Tottenham, and Real Madrid once again faces off against Ajax. Then,… ...Read More
- Wednesday English Premier League Free Picks (2/27/2019) - Heavy favorites loom in today's English Premier League mismatches... These aren't the most scintillating matchups that the EPL could put together, but that's hardly their… ...Read More
- English Premier League Betting Preview – Manchester United Grinds Uphill at Liverpool (2/22/2019) - English Premier League betting resumes this weekend, with a cracking set of matchups! Manchester United travels to Old Traffod to take on a surging Liverpool… ...Read More
- UEFA Champions League Betting – Man City gets a pass, while Atletico and Juventus Throw Down (2/19/2019) - 2019 UEFA Champions League Round of 16 continues on Wednesday when Bundesliga squad Schalke takes on top Premier League team Manchester City and Atletico battles… ...Read More
- UEFA Champions League Betting – Wednesday, Feb 13th (2/12/2019) - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 continues on Wednesday, Feb. 13 when Real Madrid battles Ajax and Dortmund takes on Tottenham. Check out moneyline odds… ...Read More
- EPL Free Picks – Will Tottenham, Man City Prevail This Weekend? (2/8/2019) - The English Premier League hits the pitch this weekend with a lot of action worth tracking. Check out our EPL free picks below and get… ...Read More
- BUNDESLIGA 2018-19 PREVIEW (8/27/2018) - by Alastair Bull As with most of the leading European soccer leagues, there is a standout favorite in Germany’s Bundesliga, which kicks off this weekend.… ...Read More
- 2018-19 La Liga Preview (8/16/2018) - by Alastair Bull With some highly influential departures, Spain’s leading soccer league could have a new look about it for the 2018-19 La Liga season… ...Read More
- Previewing the 2018-19 English Premier League Season (8/8/2018) - by Alastair Bull If you think the English Premier League is effectively between five or six teams, you’re probably right. Still, it would pay to… ...Read More