SOCCER (FOOTBALL, FUTBOL)
Soccer Sports Betting Basics
There is no sport in terms of global reach that generates more action than soccer. This is directly related to the massive popularity that the sport rightfully enjoys. For this reason, oddsmakers pay special attention to creating odds on soccer as a minor slip-up can cost the book significant losses due to the volume of action on major events like the World Cup and Premier League Championships.
Soccer betting employs the three main elements that regular team sports does, but has a slight twist due to the fact that a draw is an actual result. For these reasons, the moneyline is renamed the Three-Way Line, the spread is called the Two-Way Line and the TOTAL remains the same.
How To Bet On Soccer
The primary bet in soccer remains the three-way line which is a bet on the outright winner. The underdog will be presented with higher odds such as +150 ($100 to win $150) while a favorite would see odds such as -150 ($150 to win $100). Because soccer matches can end in a tie, the “draw” is another option on the three-way line and usually has high odds because of how unlikely it is in general.
The second bet in soccer is the goal line, which is the term used for the soccer spread. This indicates the handicap given to a favorite over an underdog. The normal goal line ranges but usually begins at +/- 0.5 and can go all the way up to +/- 2.5. The goal line only applies to the 90 minutes of regular time, so if a game ends in a draw you take the final score at that point. A draw would be a win for an underdog, as the extra points do not count towards the goal line.
The TOTAL functions the same way it does in other sports, and indicates the total number of goals scored in a single game. You can bet on either the OVER or the UNDER depending on the odds.
It is industry standard that golden goals, extra time and penalty kicks (shootouts) do not count towards wagers.
Recent Soccer News
- EPL game of the week: Manchester City vs. Manchester United (12/5/2019) - The Manchester Derby will have its latest installment Saturday, December 7, when Manchester City hosts Manchester United. Throw the records out the window on this… ...Read More
- Liverpool heavily favored over Everton in Merseyside Derby (12/3/2019) - The Merseyside Derby takes center stage Wednesday, December 4, when Liverpool hosts Everton at Anfield. Will Everton steal points away from its rival, or will… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Wolverhampton vs. Sheffield United (11/28/2019) - The English Premier League matchup of the week involves two teams in unlikely places in the table, as Wolverhampton Wanderers host Sheffield United in a… ...Read More
- Who are the contenders to win the Champions League? (11/19/2019) - The Champions League is about to wrap up the group stage next week, so let's take a look at the three top favorites to win… ...Read More
- 5 key MLS players who could be on the move (11/18/2019) - The Major League Soccer offseason is upon us, and a ton of player movement is expected among the soon-to-be 26 teams in the league. So… ...Read More
- France favored to win UEFA Euro 2020 (11/13/2019) - UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying is set to hit fever pitch this week, and now is the perfect time to start thinking about which teams have… ...Read More
- The top 5 moments that shaped the 2019 MLS season (11/12/2019) - The 2019 Major League Soccer season is in the books, with the Seattle Sounders atop the mountain as MLS Cup champions. It was a season… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Burnley vs. Chelsea (10/23/2019) - At the beginning of the season, most fans didn’t expect that a fall matchup between Burnley and Chelsea would be between two top 10 teams… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Manchester United vs. Liverpool (10/16/2019) - The English Premier League game of the week will see the top team in the league travel to Old Trafford on Sunday to participate in… ...Read More
- MLS playoff preview: Philadelphia Union vs. New York Red Bulls (10/14/2019) - The MLS Cup Playoffs begin this weekend, and there may not be a more exciting match in the Eastern Conference than the third-seeded Philadelphia Union… ...Read More
- France heavily favored over Iceland in Euro 2020 qualifying match (10/10/2019) - The Euro 2020 qualifier of the window takes place in Reykjavik on Friday, October 11, when Iceland hosts the defending World Cup champions France. The… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes (10/3/2019) - The biggest game on the Decision Day schedule for MLS is a matchup that serves almost as a play-in game for the 2019 MLS Cup… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Manchester United vs. Arsenal (9/27/2019) - The best match of the English Premier League week won’t take place until Monday night in England, but it will be worth the wait. Manchester… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Atlanta United at New York City FC (9/23/2019) - The top two teams in the Eastern Conference standings will rumble in the Bronx on Wednesday night in a match that could determine who will… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: New York Red Bulls at Portland Timbers (9/17/2019) - The MLS game of the week sends us to the Pacific Northwest, where the Portland Timbers will look to stay above the Western Conference playoff… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Toronto FC at New York City FC (9/10/2019) - The MLS match of the week will take place Wednesday, September 11, when New York City FC hosts Toronto FC. Both teams are coming off… ...Read More
- Manchester City odds-on favorite to win EPL Championship (9/5/2019) - With the English Premier League on break this week due to the FIFA international window, it’s a good week to look at the teams that… ...Read More
- Soccer: Euro 2020 qualifying betting preview (9/3/2019) - Euro 2020 qualifying begins Thursday, September 5, as 55 soccer nations continue their quest to qualify for next summer’s European championships. The qualifying format is… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Arsenal at Liverpool (8/22/2019) - It's matchday 3 of the English Premier League season, and we already have our first matchup of the top two teams in the table. Liverpool… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: New York Red Bulls at D.C. United (8/19/2019) - Third place in the Eastern Conference is on the line on Wednesday night when bitter rivals D.C. United and New York Red Bulls square off.… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: FC Dallas at LA Galaxy (8/13/2019) - FC Dallas sits in seventh place in the Western Conference with 36 points, while the Galaxy are in fifth place with 37 points, but both… ...Read More
- English Premier League: Manchester United vs. Chelsea preview (8/8/2019) - Will American Christian Pulisic have an immediate impact for Chelsea? We think so. ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Houston Dynamo at New York City FC (8/7/2019) - This week's high-profile game in MLS features two teams that are looking to move up in the standings and strengthen their chances of making the… ...Read More
- English Premier League: Liverpool vs. Norwich City preview (8/7/2019) - The English Premier League is back! The league season kicks off August 9 with the opening match between Liverpool and Norwich City at Anfield. For… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: LA Galaxy at Atlanta United (8/2/2019) - The MLS game of the week features two teams trying to rise in the standings, but some firepower will not be on the field for… ...Read More