SOCCER (FOOTBALL, FUTBOL)
Soccer Sports Betting Basics
There is no sport in terms of global reach that generates more action than soccer. This is directly related to the massive popularity that the sport rightfully enjoys. For this reason, oddsmakers pay special attention to creating odds on soccer as a minor slip-up can cost the book significant losses due to the volume of action on major events like the World Cup and Premier League Championships.
Soccer betting employs the three main elements that regular team sports does, but has a slight twist due to the fact that a draw is an actual result. For these reasons, the moneyline is renamed the Three-Way Line, the spread is called the Two-Way Line and the TOTAL remains the same.
How To Bet On Soccer
The primary bet in soccer remains the three-way line which is a bet on the outright winner. The underdog will be presented with higher odds such as +150 ($100 to win $150) while a favorite would see odds such as -150 ($150 to win $100). Because soccer matches can end in a tie, the “draw” is another option on the three-way line and usually has high odds because of how unlikely it is in general.
The second bet in soccer is the goal line, which is the term used for the soccer spread. This indicates the handicap given to a favorite over an underdog. The normal goal line ranges but usually begins at +/- 0.5 and can go all the way up to +/- 2.5. The goal line only applies to the 90 minutes of regular time, so if a game ends in a draw you take the final score at that point. A draw would be a win for an underdog, as the extra points do not count towards the goal line.
The TOTAL functions the same way it does in other sports, and indicates the total number of goals scored in a single game. You can bet on either the OVER or the UNDER depending on the odds.
It is industry standard that golden goals, extra time and penalty kicks (shootouts) do not count towards wagers.
Recent Soccer News
- EPL game of the week: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Liverpool (1/21/2020) - Will anyone catch Liverpool? The next challenge for the Reds is a match on the road against Wolves on Thursday. The two teams last played… ...Read More
- Man City favored to win Champions League, with Liverpool lurking (1/20/2020) - As the transfer window begins to enter the final stages, the Champions League Round of 16 is just around the corner and it’s time to… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Arsenal vs. Sheffield United (1/15/2020) - The English Premier League game of the week features upstart Sheffield United against Arsenal, which is looking to finally get it together and make a… ...Read More
- England favored to win UEFA Euro 2020 (1/14/2020) - Euro 2020 is nearly here! The 16th UEFA European Championship is less than five months away and England has emerged as the favorite to win… ...Read More
- Norwich City favored to be relegated in Premier League (1/8/2020) - We are into the second half of the season in the English Premier League, and teams are doing what they can to win the title… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Manchester City (12/26/2019) - The English Premier League match of the week takes place on Friday, December 27, when Wolves take on Manchester City. Wolverhampton is looking to creep… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea (12/20/2019) - The battle to be in Champions League position hits North London on Sunday, December 22, when Tottenham Hotspur hosts Chelsea. Chelsea is currently fourth in… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Wolverhampton vs. Tottenham (12/11/2019) - Two teams that are trying to creep toward a Champions League spot in the Premier League table will meet Sunday at the Molineux. Wolverhampton will… ...Read More
- Why is Liverpool such a huge favorite in EPL futures? (12/10/2019) - Liverpool is attempting to run the table in the English Premier League and win its first top-flight title in 20 years. The Reds are the… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Manchester City vs. Manchester United (12/5/2019) - The Manchester Derby will have its latest installment Saturday, December 7, when Manchester City hosts Manchester United. Throw the records out the window on this… ...Read More
- Liverpool heavily favored over Everton in Merseyside Derby (12/3/2019) - The Merseyside Derby takes center stage Wednesday, December 4, when Liverpool hosts Everton at Anfield. Will Everton steal points away from its rival, or will… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Wolverhampton vs. Sheffield United (11/28/2019) - The English Premier League matchup of the week involves two teams in unlikely places in the table, as Wolverhampton Wanderers host Sheffield United in a… ...Read More
- Who are the contenders to win the Champions League? (11/19/2019) - The Champions League is about to wrap up the group stage next week, so let's take a look at the three top favorites to win… ...Read More
- 5 key MLS players who could be on the move (11/18/2019) - The Major League Soccer offseason is upon us, and a ton of player movement is expected among the soon-to-be 26 teams in the league. So… ...Read More
- France favored to win UEFA Euro 2020 (11/13/2019) - UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying is set to hit fever pitch this week, and now is the perfect time to start thinking about which teams have… ...Read More
- The top 5 moments that shaped the 2019 MLS season (11/12/2019) - The 2019 Major League Soccer season is in the books, with the Seattle Sounders atop the mountain as MLS Cup champions. It was a season… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Burnley vs. Chelsea (10/23/2019) - At the beginning of the season, most fans didn’t expect that a fall matchup between Burnley and Chelsea would be between two top 10 teams… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Manchester United vs. Liverpool (10/16/2019) - The English Premier League game of the week will see the top team in the league travel to Old Trafford on Sunday to participate in… ...Read More
- MLS playoff preview: Philadelphia Union vs. New York Red Bulls (10/14/2019) - The MLS Cup Playoffs begin this weekend, and there may not be a more exciting match in the Eastern Conference than the third-seeded Philadelphia Union… ...Read More
- France heavily favored over Iceland in Euro 2020 qualifying match (10/10/2019) - The Euro 2020 qualifier of the window takes place in Reykjavik on Friday, October 11, when Iceland hosts the defending World Cup champions France. The… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes (10/3/2019) - The biggest game on the Decision Day schedule for MLS is a matchup that serves almost as a play-in game for the 2019 MLS Cup… ...Read More
- EPL game of the week: Manchester United vs. Arsenal (9/27/2019) - The best match of the English Premier League week won’t take place until Monday night in England, but it will be worth the wait. Manchester… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Atlanta United at New York City FC (9/23/2019) - The top two teams in the Eastern Conference standings will rumble in the Bronx on Wednesday night in a match that could determine who will… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: New York Red Bulls at Portland Timbers (9/17/2019) - The MLS game of the week sends us to the Pacific Northwest, where the Portland Timbers will look to stay above the Western Conference playoff… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Toronto FC at New York City FC (9/10/2019) - The MLS match of the week will take place Wednesday, September 11, when New York City FC hosts Toronto FC. Both teams are coming off… ...Read More