SOCCER (FOOTBALL, FUTBOL)
Soccer Sports Betting Basics
There is no sport in terms of global reach that generates more action than soccer. This is directly related to the massive popularity that the sport rightfully enjoys. For this reason, oddsmakers pay special attention to creating odds on soccer as a minor slip-up can cost the book significant losses due to the volume of action on major events like the World Cup and Premier League Championships.
Soccer betting employs the three main elements that regular team sports does, but has a slight twist due to the fact that a draw is an actual result. For these reasons, the moneyline is renamed the Three-Way Line, the spread is called the Two-Way Line and the TOTAL remains the same.
How To Bet On Soccer
The primary bet in soccer remains the three-way line which is a bet on the outright winner. The underdog will be presented with higher odds such as +150 ($100 to win $150) while a favorite would see odds such as -150 ($150 to win $100). Because soccer matches can end in a tie, the “draw” is another option on the three-way line and usually has high odds because of how unlikely it is in general.
The second bet in soccer is the goal line, which is the term used for the soccer spread. This indicates the handicap given to a favorite over an underdog. The normal goal line ranges but usually begins at +/- 0.5 and can go all the way up to +/- 2.5. The goal line only applies to the 90 minutes of regular time, so if a game ends in a draw you take the final score at that point. A draw would be a win for an underdog, as the extra points do not count towards the goal line.
The TOTAL functions the same way it does in other sports, and indicates the total number of goals scored in a single game. You can bet on either the OVER or the UNDER depending on the odds.
It is industry standard that golden goals, extra time and penalty kicks (shootouts) do not count towards wagers.
Recent Soccer News
- MLS game of the week: FC Dallas at LA Galaxy (8/13/2019) - FC Dallas sits in seventh place in the Western Conference with 36 points, while the Galaxy are in fifth place with 37 points, but both… ...Read More
- English Premier League: Manchester United vs. Chelsea preview (8/8/2019) - Will American Christian Pulisic have an immediate impact for Chelsea? We think so. ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Houston Dynamo at New York City FC (8/7/2019) - This week's high-profile game in MLS features two teams that are looking to move up in the standings and strengthen their chances of making the… ...Read More
- English Premier League: Liverpool vs. Norwich City preview (8/7/2019) - The English Premier League is back! The league season kicks off August 9 with the opening match between Liverpool and Norwich City at Anfield. For… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: LA Galaxy at Atlanta United (8/2/2019) - The MLS game of the week features two teams trying to rise in the standings, but some firepower will not be on the field for… ...Read More
- Manchester United, AC Milan meet in International Champions Cup (8/2/2019) - The International Champions Cup reaches its conclusion this week, and the winner of the preseason tournament will be decided Saturday, when Manchester United faces AC… ...Read More
- Explaining the 90-minute draw for soccer betting (7/26/2019) - One of the most popular wagers for summer soccer action is the 1X2 market. When playing that market for a match, you have the option… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: Orlando City at New England Revolution (7/25/2019) - The MLS game of the week features the hottest team in the league trying to keep a foot in the final playoff spot, while… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: D.C. United at Atlanta United (7/19/2019) - Major League Soccer's game of the week is a No. 2 vs. No. 3 battle that is always a great matchup. Atlanta United and D.C.… ...Read More
- Africa Cup of Nations: Senegal meets Algeria in final (7/18/2019) - The Africa Cup of Nations will conclude Friday, when Senegal and Algeria compete for the continent's championship. Algeria is in its first final since its… ...Read More
- Weekend MLS preview: Philadelphia Union at Real Salt Lake (7/12/2019) - Major League Soccer's matchup of the weekend features the top team in the East and a team looking to get above the playoff line in… ...Read More
- Five intriguing wagers at the sportsbook ‘buffet’ (7/9/2019) - When it comes to betting, an online sportsbook is like the greatest Vegas buffet in the world. There's plenty to choose from. You might overindulge,… ...Read More
- MLS game of the week: D.C. United vs. New England Revolution (7/9/2019) - Major League Soccer kicks off the weekend Friday night, as D.C. United hosts the New England Revolution. New England Revolution at D.C. United, 7 p.m.… ...Read More
- Copa América: Brazil seeks glory on home soil (7/5/2019) - The 2019 Copa América final is a rematch from the group stage. Will hosts Brazil lift the Copa América trophy? Or will it be Peru… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup: United States seeks fourth title (7/5/2019) - The Women's World Cup final is here, and the defending champions will go up against a team making its first World Cup final appearance. Who… ...Read More
- Copa América: Argentina, Chile battle for third place (7/5/2019) - The 2019 Copa América enters its final two matches, and it begins with the third-place match between Argentina and Chile. Who will win the consolation… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup: England, Sweden playing for pride Saturday (7/5/2019) - The Women's World Cup enters its final stages this weekend, and the third-place match kicks things off Saturday in Nice. It's the match neither team… ...Read More
- Copa América semifinals preview: Brazil vs. Argentina (7/2/2019) - The Copa América semifinals are here, and there's one match the entire world has been waiting for, while the other side of the bracket features… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup semifinals preview: Americans take on England (7/2/2019) - The scene shifts to Lyon on Tuesday for the semifinal round of the Women's World Cup. The four remaining teams will fight to see who… ...Read More
- Soccer: Copa América quarterfinals preview (6/26/2019) - The 2019 Copa América has entered the knockout stage, and eight teams are left to fight it out for the title. Host Brazil continues to… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup quarterfinals preview (6/26/2019) - We have reached the quarterfinals of the 2019 Women's World Cup, and all of Europe is having a party that America is trying to crash.… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup: France vs. Brazil preview (6/21/2019) - Women's World Cup Round of 16 Host nation France enters the Women's World Cup Round of 16 with a doozy of an opponent Sunday. Les Bleues… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup: Australia vs. Norway preview (6/21/2019) - The knockout stage of the 2019 Women's World Cup begins Saturday, and the headliner of two contests is a matchup between Norway and Australia. (Norway… ...Read More
- CONCACAF Gold Cup: El Salvador vs. Jamaica preview (6/20/2019) - Group B of the CONCACAF Gold Cup will have its second match day Friday, and the best matchup will be El Salvador against Jamaica. Both… ...Read More
- Women’s World Cup: USA-Chile preview (6/14/2019) - The United States continues play in the Women's World Cup on Sunday, again as a huge favorite against Chile. (USA -20000, Chile +1950, Draw +1125)… ...Read More