Tennis Basics of Sports Betting
Players are able to bet on tennis in a multitude of ways, making wagering on the sport particularly interesting. The top level sportsbook will offer odds on the ATP, WTA and Challenger series. You can either bet on straightforward futures markets for the outright tournament winner, while also betting on specific matchups.
Like most of the four majors, tennis betting includes a spread, moneyline and a total. The spread is a differential in games won, while the moneyline represents the straight up winner of the match. Totals are determined by how many total games are played.
Betting the Tennis Spread, Moneyline and Total
Standard spreads in tennis range between +/- 1.5 to +/- 3.5 games with relatively even juice on either side of the line. The average TOTAL for tennis odds is 22.5 games. The moneylines usually indicate more clearly how much better a favorite is compared to an underdog.
In matchups where there is a top level player playing against a lower ranked pro, the odds can go as high as -5000 ($5000 to win $100) while the underdog receives odds in the +1200 range ($100 to win $1200). This kind of respect is attributed to the “Big Four” such as Federer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal. Most everyone else will get much tighter tennis odds.
Tennis Futures and Prop Bets
The futures markets are usually presented for major events, and most of the WTA series. These are wagers based on the outright winner. As usual, you’ll find the Big Four at the top and everyone else below. For reference, women’s tennis futures tend to be somewhat tighter overall because there is much more parity.
In some instances, the oddsmakers will include side bets in the form of propositions such as a player winning in straight sets. Rarely, you can bet on number of aces and things of that nature, but this usually only applies to major tournaments.
Recent Tennis News
- Tennis: Odds update on surprising U.S. Open men’s semifinal (9/6/2019) - Until proven otherwise, you can’t bet against a member of the Big Three. Rafael Nadal will breeze past the semifinal and will celebrate his second… ...Read More
- Djokovic on his way to a near-sweep of 2019’s Grand Slam titles (8/23/2019) - The Big Three of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer head to Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York on Monday to… ...Read More
- 2019 Wimbledon men’s and women’s preview (6/27/2019) - The oldest tennis tournament in the world, and one of the most prestigious, will bring the elite of the sport to Wimbledon, London, July 1-14.… ...Read More
- Tennis: Federer looms once again in Noventi Open (6/19/2019) - The grass season is in full swing in the lead-up to Wimbledon come mid-June, and for the Noventi Open at Halle, that usually means Roger… ...Read More
- Tennis: French Open Betting Preview (5/23/2019) - Can anyone beat Rafael Nadal? As it has been for the past 14 years, this is the only question for punters heading into the French… ...Read More
- Tennis: Monte-Carlo Masters Semifinals Preview (4/19/2019) - The ATP Monte-Carlo Masters semifinals take place Saturday, with Dusan Lajovic battling Daniil Medvedev and Borin Coric taking on Rafael Nadal. Dusan Lajovic vs. (10)… ...Read More
- Tennis: Monte-Carlo Masters Quarterfinals Preview (4/18/2019) - The ATP Monte-Carlo Masters has reached the quarterfinals stage, with the top two men’s tennis players on the planet still alive. Both Novak Djokovic and… ...Read More
- Wednesday Matchups: U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship (4/9/2019) - Three tennis matches are set for Wednesday in the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championship. Reilly Opelka faces Casper Ruud, Christian Garin takes on Jeremy Chardy,… ...Read More
- U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship Preview (4/8/2019) - The only ATP-level clay-court tournament in the U.S. kicked off April 8 in Houston at the 2019 Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court… ...Read More
- 2019 Australian Open Futures – Farewell, Andy Murray (1/11/2019) - To say that Andy Murray deserves better should go without saying. A champion of all the right causes, and a decent bloke to boot, Murray… ...Read More
- Halep’s First Round Exit Stuns Women’s Bracket of U.S. Open (8/28/2018) - by Alastair Bull Punters could be in for another turbulent women’s singles major after the defeat of the top seed on the first day of… ...Read More
- Djokovic Favored To Win 2018 U.S. Open (8/28/2018) - by Alastair Bull Novak Djokovic will head into the 2018 U.S. Open a deserved favorite after a great comeback from injury in 2018. Djokovic needed… ...Read More